FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication?

missjbear
Community Member

I'm new to beyond blue but I have a question that might affect my immediate future. I have been talking with my counsellor and doctor and they have suggested that I consider medication to assist me with coping with my anxiety and depressive symptoms.

I know medication affects everybody differently does anybody have a particular perspective on medication? I have seen a naturopath and osteopath in the past should I try these pathways again or try medication. Since it was two years ago I can't really remember how effective they were but I do believe they helped at least a little.

In addition to these pathways (medication, naturopathy and osteopathy) does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm struggling at the moment it is hard for me to do things right now especially things I used to enjoy. I am currently deferring from university which would normally be unlike me as I had a passion for learning and going to uni used to be a goal of mine.

Thankyou for any help.

8 Replies 8

Hope_for_the_best
Community Member

From your post, it is clear that your anxiety and depression affect your daily life and functioning, particularly you are unable to attend uni. If you have been to counselling for a while and things do not get sorted out, then psychotherapy alone may not be sufficient for you.

In response to your questions, medication has side effects and it may take a while to work, but for your situation the benefits of going on medication seems to outweigh the downsides of it. Please discuss with your doctor for the best treatment option. I am not sure about naturopathy or osteopathy. I think they may be used in adjunct, but should not replace conventional medical and psychotherapies.

It is good that you have already got a regular doctor and counsellor. Keep in touch with them and get well soon.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Missjbear, thanks for posting your comment.
You won't be allowed to take a naturopath which is meant for depression as well as an AD, because it is not advised, and the naturopath is only for very mild depression/anxiety, in other words it's just like putting a bandaid on, so you need to talk with your doctor about beginning to take AD's once again.
The reason I say this is because you're deferred uni, that's a big decision and means you are suffering, so I don't believe that any naturopath tablets would be of any benefit, however you might have to try a couple of AD's before you find the best one.
Ask your doctor about the mental health plan, which entitles you to 10 free visits to see a psychologist. Geoff.

Coffeebean
Community Member

Seven weeks ago, I was trying to decide if I should take medication. My GP had given me the script and told me I was likely to need it before I started counselling. My husband immediately got the script filled. I really didn't want to take it.

Then two days later I had a rare moment of insight. I realised that my decision-making skills were probably negatively affected by my depression. And I had two sensible people wanting me to take medication.

So I started taking it. I'm still not sure if it's the right one, but I'm crying less and sleeping better, so I'm willing to persist.

Good luck. Making decisions can be hard with anxiety and depression. Talk with those you trust.

CB

FrankoG
Community Member

Hi Missjbear,

First reply here 🙂

I too deferred my university course for a year. After Yr12, I found that the last thing I felt like doing was studying again. If you are struggling, I think its best that you take the time to look after yourself before embarking on Uni.

Having said that, my experiences with counselling and or medication, is that a combination of the two work best. Geoff is correct in saying it may take a couple of tries to get your medication correct. However, once this happens, this will help you to get the most out of your counselling. Well, that's what I found myself anyway.

Please still keep going to Uni as a goal of yours! I know when I am struggling, its hard to see the "light at the end of the tunnel." It is there, sometimes its just clouded by our depression.

Thankyou for your constructive help. I have decided to try medication and the doctor says that what I'm on has minimal side effects however the first week can make me feel worse until I balance out. I have only just started and it's my first week and I do feel worse right now but I have taken the first step and will check back in with everyone here who has offered support once I have balanced out.

Thankyou for your advice I have started the medication but until I balance out I'm not in the best place but my doctor is discussing combating my depression and anxiety from multiple angles so in addition to my counsellor and starting medication he has suggested a dietitian and discussing exercise possibilities. But I will be checking back in a few weeks after I balance out.

missjbear
Community Member
Thankyou Geoff for your suggestions I will discuss a mental health plan with my doctor as we are discussing the multiple angles we can combat my depression and anxiety from.

i hope you feel better soon