FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Long Term Affects of Antidepressent Use of Your Health

ianken51
Community Member

Hi. I have been on antidepressents for over 27 years now. I've been told I overproduce ? seretonin and must use these antidepressents for the rest of my life.

My problem is that over the years I've developed impared kidney function which has resulted in weight gain (120kg at 5ft 8 inches), a heart attack (10 yrs ago), type 2 diabetes (2 yrs ago), and now have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis In my left hip.

From various articles I've read there seems to be a common factor with my health issues - long term use of antidepressents.

Has anyone read information related to such health issues? I'm not sure that GPs and the medical profession subscribe to this theory at present. I'm also unsure whether or not I'm just wishfully hoping my health issues are depression related 🙂 

I certainly have NO DESIRE to drop my medication as I'm all too aware of the "Black Dog" as Winston Churchill called his depression.

1 Reply 1

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Ian,

I'm sorry to hear about your health complications. I also take antidepressants, but I've only been on them for about 4 or so years. I have had concerns about my future use of them. I take the SSRI's to help with OCD and my serotonin deficiency.

There is a great conversation thread on this forum that would be worth having a look at:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/connect-with-others/online-forums/treatments/long-term-use-of-antidepressants

I hope some information on this thread is helpful 🙂

Best wishes,

SM