FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Learning about the effects of alcohol while on AD

Retchey
Community Member

Hi guys,

I am currently on AD, the last week and a bit I had been feeling quite well and somewhat balanced (somewhat) just.... Any way last Saturday I went out to visit family friends with my family, and I consumed 4 craft beers over 4-5 hours, since then I have kind of relapsed into the "hole", I have been racking my brain as to why, and today I dawned upon me (der) it was the amount of alcohol I consumed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Regards

5 Replies 5

bridgeridoo
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Retchey,

Absolutely! I usually find it more the next day. For so long I had no idea while I'd fall into such a deep hole the day after doing so well at a social function, then it hit me, it was the AD!

It obviously depends on what AD you're on, and all of your personal factors, but yeah, you're not alone.

A year later, I find I can have 1-2 drinks, but I'm also really careful about picking the situations I drink in (really special friends, environments that don't make me anxious, not when there's alone of stresses happening etc), and drink slowly to monitor how it's making me feel.

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Retchey. I am not too sure how much alcohol affects AD but it depends on the person (weight, height, alcohol tolerance) and the type of AD and dose they are on (note can't disclose on the forums due to wanting to leave that stuff to the professionals). For me if I have a few drinks (not get intoxicated) I am fine, however if I drink to excess (drunk) then it makes my depression bad. Remember alcohol is a depressant in itself so this could be a cause of your moods relapsing. If you are new to your medication I suggest having a break from alcohol to help deal with the depression and to get used to the medication (remember takes a few weeks for it to be in the system and work). Also I find if your moods have been down then it may also be a good idea to take a break from alcohol. Like Bridgeridoo I find the next day after being drunk the worst for my depression and anxiety. I tend to avoid drinking in excess for this reason, and because I don't particularly enjoy hang overs plus it isn't good for me.

MP

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Retchey, the alcohol will affect your AD, in other words it 'diminishes the effect or the strength' of them being able to work, this is what I was always told by my doctor.
It seems as though you have stopped the alcohol, but then had these 4 beers over 5 hours which isn't a great deal of grog, but the point is that you decided to drink on this occasion and feel as though you've broken your abstinence, and please correct me if I'm wrong.
If this is right then you will feel down because you weren't strong enough to say no, but by giving up the alcohol there will be times when you do have a drink, but I look at it this way, the more you break this routine the stronger you will get.
It's building up this abstinence to make you say no and by feeling down, makes you even more determined to be alcohol free.
Remember you could have drunk more than 4 beers and become intoxicated and then showing all the after effects the next day.
I have stopped drinking for 3 months until I started again, but now I only drink socially, knowing full well what will happen if I go overboard. Geoff.

Retchey
Community Member

Hi guys,

Geoff, no I have been consuming alcohol in small amounts 1-2 beers a night, sometimes I will not drink at all. Thanks for all the feedback.

Regards

Julz01
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Retchy

u drank for years whilst on AD & never really got through the fog of anxiety & depression. After being hospitalised a year ago I have for the most part abstained from alcohol & managing my symptoms is 1000% better for it. I drank to excess a few weeks ago (first drink in 8 months) at a family celebration & for the next 3 days I was crippled with anxiety & depression. So I know how badly it effects me. But I guess everyone's different & on different AD & doses but this is just my personal experience.

hope you find the support you need & I wish you well

Julz