FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

FOI and getting a copy of my file

16sundayz
Community Member

My psychologist is refusing to give me a copy of my file after I asked him for it. I was wondering if anyone in Victoria could please help me out on how to apply for it other than asking him? The medical clinic where I see him isn't listed on the Freedom Of Information Victoria online agency database so I don't know how else to apply for for it other than sending him a formal letter requesting it.

Could somebody in Victoria please help me?

Thank you

1 Reply 1

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear 16sundayz~

As far as I'm aware any health provided retains property rights to any notes made whilst treating you but normally will give you access, or a report upon written request, perhaps with a charge.

There are some exceptions when access will not, or only partially, be made available, however you may find the following pages and links (whjich include a section on Victoria) concerning the whole matter here :

https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/health-information/access-your-health-information/

There are both Commonwealth and State complaints procedures if the matter is not handled to your satisfaction

Normally when changing to another health provider information is transferred as a matter of courtesy.

Hope this helps

Croix