FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Crying Daughte

DW2020
Community Member

My daughter had a psychotic episode 2 years ago, which saw her in a mental health ward. The psychiatrist initially diagnosed bipolar & put her on antipsychotic medication, on release she was to see a psychologist for 12 months. She moved home as her relationship broke down & we could support her financially. She had 3 psychologist visit, she told us the psychologist said she was not bipolar, her episode was likely drug induced & did not need to continue.

She went off medication & appeared okay after a year she got a great job driving haul trucks at a mine 6.5 hours away so drove back & forward after each round. She had a couple of mild episodes while at this mine but appeared to work through with family support. after 6 months she transferred to a closer mine & only travelled 3.5 hours to work. She bought a new car & was saving to buy her own home.

During this time she began crying, she would not talk to us about what was wrong, we asked whether it was her job or if anyone had said or done anything to her she said she loved driving the trucks. However the crying increased & she began accusing us of repeating her words back to her as if we were listening in on her she said it was happening while driving the truck & all the family and other random people were doing it, we have tried to get her to seek help but she refuses and will not take medication.

2 months ago her job ended due to her employer losing their contract this happened the day before her 30th birthday. Since then she has gotten worse to the point where we can’t sleep as her crying keeps us awake, when we approach her she is abusive and aggressive towards us. One night she slapped her dad in the face and hit me with her weighty pillow across the head. We have tried everything we can think of to either help her or encourage her to seek help but she refuses. It is impacting on us to the point we are struggling to function properly.
She believes that people are listening to her and purposely repeating things back that they could not know about and that relate to past trauma, when we deny this and suggest she is confused she yells we are lying. We ask for examples and suggest coincidence but she says it is happening too much to be coincidental.
She doesn’t do anything but eat, sleep, cry, watch tv and play some game on her phone, she has shut herself off from family and friends as she believes they also are lying and contributing,
We know she needs help but are unsure what steps to take to get that help

5 Replies 5

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

This is a big predicament for you both because she is an adult and can refuse to get treatment- I'm sure she needs it.

We are not professional medical people here, so she needs that in order to improve. We do read often here of stubbornness though and there is little you can do. In your situation all I would do is wait until she has another episode or her actions lead to calling the authorities, be it police or ambulance or both, then she will be madeto get assessed and you can inform the doctors of your plight.

I might suggest that slapping or striking in any form is assault and although she is your daughter that is unacceptable. It might be one of the rules you can put in place in your own home and if breached call the police. I know why you dont call the police but if you want to help her then hard love is the only way. Yes, you risk her moving out but remember- every human has boundaries of behaviour.

Please google-

Beyondblue topic is there room for stubbornness?

Beyondblue topic does stubbornness have a place?

Beyondblue topic worry worry worry

TonyWK

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

dW2020

welcome to the thread and so sorry about your daughter.

tony has written some helpful suggestions.

I have bipolar and when I was in my early 2Os, I was in denial and was very challenging to my parents and refused medication.

I was wondering if you spoke to the psychologists about her not having bipolar. Usually a psychiatrist has to diagnose . The psychologist may have said but I know people who have to,d their families stories about what doctor said.

For me personally I had to realise that I needed help.

Have you got some support for you and husband. Looking after your daughter is very tiring so you both may need help.

Thank you for your response,

we have been in touch with a case work manager for mental health in our suburb and they have given advice on the path to take for our daughters benefit.

Thank you for responding,

as our daughter is 30 we are/were not at her psychologist appointment, we only have our daughters explanation on what transpired between them, I have my doubts on the truth but did not want to accuse her of being dishonest with us.
we were put in touch with someone today who clarified our options and we now have a plan of action.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

dW2020

i am glad you got the support you needed and have contacted a case work manager for mental health. I was hoping you would seek the help you need.

feel free to post here any time if needed.