FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Does medication for anxiety work?

Macka90
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I am writing this thread to let everyone know that I suffer from health anxiety and my first step to start a new anxiety free life was my trip to the GP about and now I have just taken my first dose of Anti anxiety meds to see if they will help me, I am only on a small dose as my GP wants to see how I go with it first and then she might increase if need be.

I have been a health anxiety suffer for as long as I can remember but have been able to control it until this year. I am now hoping these meds will help me and also talking to friends and family and of course people on here about it I will be able to control it. 

Anyone who has a thought about taking meds and they have helped along with talking please comment so I know I am not taking them for nothing.

2 Replies 2

mrkd1991
Community Member

Hi Macka90,

Anti anxiety medications can be quite helpful, depending on circumstances and how you take them.

I used to take a particular well known one, and I found it worked great for my anxiety.

A few things I want to mention:

You generally can't take them for extended periods, rather you need to learn coping methods whilst taking it to help you when you have to stop taking them.

They can be very addictive, and your body gets used to certain ones very quickly. Suddenly one tablet won't help any more.

You may find yourself taking them thinking it's anxiety, when it's actually something else. For example, stress can be confused as anxiety. So you start taking them when your stressed as well as anxious.

Lastly, do not stop taking them suddenly. What follows can be a lot worse than what you initially started taking them for.

Obviously there is a lot more that could be said, but these are some things from my own personal experience that I would like you to know.

Hopefully taking these will help you talk more about the problems you are facing and overcoming your issues.

All the best, and good luck.

Macka90
Community Member

Hi mrkd1991

Thank you so much for ur reply. 

Your advice on this has helped a lot, I am very new to having anxiety symptoms, I have been able to control my symptoms till now, 

My GP has me on half a dose once a day, I hope they help as I'm scared the physical symptoms may get worse and interfere with my kids or partner which is the one thing I don't want (that no one wants) so I'm hoping these will help and help talking as well. 

Thsnk you you so much again for ur reply.