FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

nausea and headaches

ReeBecca
Community Member
Hi, just wondering if anyone else feels sick taking antidepressants? I have been on them for years and while I know that I am a much happier person while on them and have accepted the fact that I need them.. I feel sick every day. I start out in the morning feeling well and ready for the day but then I will take my antidepressant and start to feel worse and worse as the day progresses...and by the end of the day I just feel so nauseous and have a really bad headache that I can't even handle someone talking to me because the noise just hurts and irritates my head. It's horrible...I am a happier person but then I am feeling awful because of the side affects. I'm not sure what to do because each time I have tried to week off them I just go downhill and need to go back on them. 
2 Replies 2

Zeal
Community Member

Hi ReeBecca,

I'm sorry to hear you regularly feel ill taking your antidepressants. I didn't feel so great when I first started taking mine, but this passed within a few weeks. I have been taking the same dose of my antidepressant for a few years now, and I don't feel any negative effects. However, if I accidentally forget my medication even on one occasion, I feel anxious and jittery for several days. This would happen to most people who take antidepressants, as these medications must be taken each day, for biological reasons. If and when you decide to wean off your antidepressants, it's vital that you do so only on the instruction or with the guidance of your doctor. Never stop taking them abruptly.

It's great that you are happier while on these antidepressants. If you haven't already, make an appointment with your doctor or GP to discuss these negative health effects of your antidepressants. Your doctor may advise you to reduce your dose slightly, to try a different type of antidepressant or medication, or perhaps suggest a lifestyle change which could help. However, I don't think a lifestyle change would be likely to fix this issue. But hey, I am not a doctor!

I hope you and your doctor can sort this out, so that you can feel well again 🙂

Best wishes,

SM

ReeBecca
Community Member

Hi SM,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I've heard a lot of people feel that way when they first start taking them. I don't know why I feel like this all the time..I have been taking them for quite some time. You're right though, I should speak to my Dr about it. That's what my husband keeps saying too but I've just been procrastinating. I will though. I wouldnt stop taking them abruptly. I did try and halve my dose last week just fo two days just to see if maybe the dose was a bit high for me but then I felt anxious and funny in a different way..similar to how you feel when you accidentally forget to take it.

I have also been taking them in the morning and from other peoples post that I've read a lot of people take them at night before bed so I've decided to try that to see how I go. And I'll make an appointment too.

Thanks again x