FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

confused and needing help

flagpole
Community Member
Hi, I have been dealing with depression for many years and have deteriorated in recent years (3 stressful pregnancies and pre term babies and several other contributing factors). I am on a farm and pretty isolated and alone so find it impossible to do the recommended abc things to keep mentally healthy so thought it was time for medication. I started taking 25mg of X on tues and was feeling pretty revolting side effects. By thurs my depression levels had dramatically deteriorated and was feeling unsafe which has never happened before. I saw a dr on Fri who recommended trying a day off the X and if I didn't feel any better to start taking it again at 50mg or try a new type of drug (Y). I have had little sleep all week and feel unable to make a decision right now. I would like to see a psychiatrist to find out what medication would definitely suit my situation but there isn't any of those services here. I am not too far from Albany, is there any psychiatrists there that anyone knows of? Don't know what to do, looking for advice and need help urgently. Thanks.
2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Flagpole, you seem as though it's been tough through your three pregnancies and the other problems which could be PND plus other hardships. I don't know of any psychiatrists in Albany as I am from country Melbourne, try and check 'get support' from the top or google for psych. in your area, not much help I know.

Sometimes it makes me wonder about what some doctors know of these medications, and unless they have been on them their self, they can only go by what the information tells them by the drug companies or what the internet tells them. If you feeling unsafe I can't understand why the doctor would want to double this medication. Antidepressants should be given to a person in a small dosage so that your body can adjust to it, and if any bad side effects occur then they would stop that medication and then try another one. I can't understand the logic of them saying 'take a day off drug x and then double the dosage, or then try drug Y, this isn't a game, this is serious.

I really hoped that you can find a psychiatrist, and maybe change your doctor if need be, someone with whom you have heard about who is good, just food for thought. Let us know how you keep on. Love Geoff x

flagpole
Community Member

Thanks Geoff, it has been a terrible few weeks, I finally saw my dr (it's hard to get app here) today and he said to stop taking the meds immediately (thank god, still having all the awful side effects) and referred me to a psychiatrist in perth. Pretty mad at the inconsistent advice going on as the other dr's solution was to double the dose which i did as i had no idea what to do. And the hospital told me to stay home and see a dr the next day when I wasn't feeling safe......It's frustrating it seems to take so long to get help when you are desperate for it in rural areas. But I am relieved I'm on the way to getting some help. Just wish it was tomorrow, it might not be till end may when i can get an app.

Thanks again, Cheers, Flagpole