FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Boxercise as a Treatment for Anxiety and Depression ?

Mbuna
Community Member

Hi Guys and Gals

I speak to a lot of people with depression and anxiety disorders. I like doing this because i find talking helps. I know im not the only person out there with my sorts of problems. I also learn a lot form others and try to help as well if i can. I have had two people tell me recently that they have taken up boxercise classes and that it has really helped them. I did a bit of boxing and martial arts when i was younger but back then I did not have any issues. I just thought i would throw it out there to see what everyone else thinks about it. I know walking and swimming helps me control my demons. Boxercise is not fighting but apparently there is a lot of punching into bags and mitts. Ive been told that its a very good cardiovascular workout so I can sort of see how it would be helpful.

Any feedback experiences would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Zbigniew
Community Member

Hi Mbuna,

The benefits of exercise to manage depression and anxiety is well recognised due to the release of endorphins etc.  Boxercise sounds like the perfect exercise for you considering your boxing and martial arts background.  If you like boxercise then Tapout and Insanity could be other good exercise options!

I have used exercise for years to manage my depression which helps but i am now somewhat addicted to exercise.  If i don't exercise i actually feel withdrawal symptoms like feeling really edgy etc.

I enjoy running and rowing but unfortunately haven't been able to do it the last three months due to injury.  I over did it!  So now i am doing more gentle type exercises such as lots of walking, resistance band exercises and a mix of pilates and yoga for rehab.

I'm really enjoying the pilates / yoga it's great for the body and mind and for relaxation / meditation.  However it's difficult to achieve spiritual enlightenment with an intrusive wife and a rambunctious 4 year old 🙂 

All the best

Zbigniew

Mbuna
Community Member

Had my first class last night. It may not be everyones cup of tea but i really enjoyed it and feel great. My arms feel like they have been run over this morning but I woke up feeling on top of the world despite the muscle soreness. Boxcercise gets a big tick in the box from me 🙂

Neil_1
Community Member
Hi Mbuna

That's great to hear about your positive first session with boxercise. 

Take care with it in regard to not doing too much too soon for fear of the dreaded "i" word (injury).

Cheers
Neil