FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication for anxiety

Daisychain
Community Member

Hi guys, I would appreciate any feedback on this matter as I am desperate at this stage with my anxiety. I have had a mild anxiety for years but didn't realise it until being with my dad when he passed away 4 years ago and then a series of other sad events.  My GP put me on a medication at that time and it was like a miracle - no anxiety, no feeling to what I can only imagine a bleeding ulcer would feel like 24/7.  Unfortunately I have suffered only what I can term as a "nervous breakdown" at the end of May this year from pressure of running my own business and on going back to my doctor he increased my medication ..  Unfortunately this did not have the miracle effect of the initial dose and I have ended up being switched to another medication initially and then when that didn't help the dose was increased.  

I feel absolutely horrible, terrified and scared and so alone.  My anxiety is taking over my life.  The medication seems to have no effect and although I know a drug is not the only solution, I am also seeing a psychologist and attending a meditation class in the desperate hope that something will help me out of this hell.  I was thinking that maybe a switch back to my original medication at a higher dose might help.  My anxiety is generalised; I don't worry ruminatively about things, I don't have panic attacks my body is just in a constant state of tension, my stomach is sore and my mind feels paralysed.  I can't sleep without sleeping pills, I can't concentrate on my work.  I don't know any other way to describe it.  I feel I am losing everything; my poor family don't understand and I absolutely sick of thinking about  myself.  Any thoughts of anyone who has used medications and how they helped them would be absolutely appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Marley
Community Member

Hi Daisychain

I feel like I went through something similar and realised I have probably suffered anxiety my whole life but anyway I experienced extreme stress over lots of things at once and I think I too was close to nervous breakdown and feeling suicidal which I've never felt in my life.  I went to GP who put me on medication at 50mg but I used to get these 'nerves' in my stomach and was all worked up, it helped a little but I went back and she upped it to 100mg.  This seemed to make a world of difference.  I was put on an SNRI which is suppose to help depression and anxiety.  I have been on them 2 years, I thought it would be short lived but now I feel too afraid to reduce because most times all is good, so long as no MAJOR dramas.

hope this helps.

nigella1
Community Member

Hey! All I can say is hang in there.I know how scary it can be.but as for the meds I was put on some too and I didn`t see them doing any good SO I stopped taking them. and BAM! my anxiety got worse.I`m now on ones that agree with me

Try and talk to your GP and see if there`s meds that will suit you.GOOD LUCK it will all come good in the end

Leeanza
Community Member

Good Luck.  My 19year old son became anxious and depressed since leaving school and had fallen into a rut, unfortunately for him Dr prescribed an SSRI medication before trying other things first, he took one dose 20mg and ended up in hospital with serotonin syndrome,he will now need to rely very heavily upon psychologist hekp.  

Different things work for different people,but in my experience daily exercise,even if it is just on a treadmill at home really helps pump endorphins - feel good chemicals together with a healthy diet.  

Helms
Community Member
Hi Daisychain, I have suffered from anxiety off and on for years now and have taken a very long time to work out the dosage that my body can handle. I was prescribed an SSRI which took a while to feel better rather than worse. Now I only need to take a half dose everyday and I am ok. It takes me a week or two to 'settle' into any changes in dose. This is very annoying because if I miss a day or take more or less it really makes me feel terrible for a week or two. I am sure you will feel better if you stick to the same dose everyday for a week or two and give your body time to adjust.   Also everyone says it but exercise does help and also thinking positively. Make yourself think about the good things in your life and you will feel better.

Beetle
Community Member

HI

I have drepression and anxiety.My med has a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor and a serotinon reubtake inhibor combined. that stopped my panicattcks and worry and depresion. I guess a drug with only noradreanline reubtake inhibotor would be great for anxiety. that keeps the stress reaction of the body down and calms the nerves. Worked for me. Ask your doc.

good luck and i hope your son is feeeling better soon 🙂

beetle

MichaelB
Community Member
i take 100mg of an SSRI antidepressant each morning

does it work, i don't know. I used to be scared to take it, now im scared not too take it. But... i guess thats not really a surprise in my brains condition lol.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Michael, we tend to notice it more if we don't take the medication or we feel as though it's not working because pain is more dominant than feeling OK. Geoff.