Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Sweetdreams Never ending binge eating
  • replies: 1

I've lost the plot and can't control my eating. I've always struggled with food, but never have been overweight as I've always been able to stay committed and a binge sesh has only every lasted a day or 2 before getting back on track. But since start... View more

I've lost the plot and can't control my eating. I've always struggled with food, but never have been overweight as I've always been able to stay committed and a binge sesh has only every lasted a day or 2 before getting back on track. But since started meds about 8 months ago I've gained a whopping 30 kg. and have spiralled into more self hate and emotional eating. Bingeing most days. Please help me- I don't know where to turn? Has anyone had similar problems and overcame them? thanks.

dano How to find the right help?
  • replies: 2

How do you know if you need a psychologist, clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist? And how do you find that right person? I know i can do a search on here, but it's just a long list of names. How do i sort through them and pick the right person for... View more

How do you know if you need a psychologist, clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist? And how do you find that right person? I know i can do a search on here, but it's just a long list of names. How do i sort through them and pick the right person for me? Do they offer a test drive? It's kinda confusing knowing you need help but don't know where to go.

Scotty2013 Cure or Maintanance
  • replies: 5

Hi BBr's was thinking do you think there's such thing as a cure?, or is it maintenance?, like to hear your thoughts. TC.

Hi BBr's was thinking do you think there's such thing as a cure?, or is it maintenance?, like to hear your thoughts. TC.

miss_weepy Just diagnosed,looking for tips
  • replies: 10

Hi there, I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety yesterday, and my psychiatrist has put me on antidepressants. Ive never taken them before and i start tomorrow. Ive been told 1/2 tablet daily for 1 week 1 tablet daily the following week and 1 and 1/... View more

Hi there, I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety yesterday, and my psychiatrist has put me on antidepressants. Ive never taken them before and i start tomorrow. Ive been told 1/2 tablet daily for 1 week 1 tablet daily the following week and 1 and 1/2 tablets daily the following week which will be 75 mg its only a month trial to see how it works out for me as im new to it and my GP will be able to lower my dosage if required. Is there anyone out there who is on, or has been on antidepressants who can tell me how it worked out for them? Im dont know how active this forum is so not sure if anyone will even see this post but im looking for all of the support i can get seeing as though i get none from my family. If anyone can direct me to information, resources, other online communites or any information or tips that they feel like sharing with me then it would be much appreciated. I know i cant solely rely on the antidepressants to help me but I want to add that it was a SUGGESTION by the psychiatrist and I chose to give them a go, id like to find out for myself. Anyway thanks to anyone who takes the time to read or respond xx

flagpole confused and needing help

Hi, I have been dealing with depression for many years and have deteriorated in recent years (3 stressful pregnancies and pre term babies and several other contributing factors). I am on a farm and pretty isolated and alone so find it impossible to d... View more

Hi, I have been dealing with depression for many years and have deteriorated in recent years (3 stressful pregnancies and pre term babies and several other contributing factors). I am on a farm and pretty isolated and alone so find it impossible to do the recommended abc things to keep mentally healthy so thought it was time for medication. I started taking 25mg of X on tues and was feeling pretty revolting side effects. By thurs my depression levels had dramatically deteriorated and was feeling unsafe which has never happened before. I saw a dr on Fri who recommended trying a day off the X and if I didn't feel any better to start taking it again at 50mg or try a new type of drug (Y). I have had little sleep all week and feel unable to make a decision right now. I would like to see a psychiatrist to find out what medication would definitely suit my situation but there isn't any of those services here. I am not too far from Albany, is there any psychiatrists there that anyone knows of? Don't know what to do, looking for advice and need help urgently. Thanks.

Chin_Up New Dosage

Hi all fellow bber's, My doctor recently increased my anti-depressant from 10mg to 20mg. I was just starting to feel great on the first dosage but now I have similar side effects from when I first started medication, the insomnia is exhausting. Do yo... View more

Hi all fellow bber's, My doctor recently increased my anti-depressant from 10mg to 20mg. I was just starting to feel great on the first dosage but now I have similar side effects from when I first started medication, the insomnia is exhausting. Do you think I will adjust to the increased dosage faster the second time around? Shattered I'm back in this position. ChinUp.

Bulletin_Board_Archive Medications Phobia
  • replies: 13

Originally posted by: Scott2 on 26 October 2012Hi guys i have my medication finally, Now out of all things a fear kicks in regarding them perhaps normal . It's like i have 2 brains arguing with one another, one saying take, other saying no no!. Altho... View more

Originally posted by: Scott2 on 26 October 2012Hi guys i have my medication finally, Now out of all things a fear kicks in regarding them perhaps normal . It's like i have 2 brains arguing with one another, one saying take, other saying no no!. Although i know the rational says yes you need them for now , I know many of us don't like taking them, fearful of them, side effects and hope they work , I also read it can be very hit and miss just have to find that right one. I just have to look at it like i would an Antibiotic for a bad infection, well the same thing for the mind. Oh well I will get past it with the 1st one hopefully, perhaps I'll take it with some of that Pav!!. Bye for now sunny day out there S2

flagpole At a loss
  • replies: 1

Hi, I am a mum of 3 on a farm and have been living with depression for many years. It has become worse in the last few years and I decided that medication was worth a go. I started taking 25mg of X on tues and had all the normal side effects and felt... View more

Hi, I am a mum of 3 on a farm and have been living with depression for many years. It has become worse in the last few years and I decided that medication was worth a go. I started taking 25mg of X on tues and had all the normal side effects and felt pretty gross. By thurs my level of depression was significantly worse and I felt at risk which was pretty scary. I saw a dr who said to stop taking it for one day and if I felt the same to continue taking it the day after at 50mg, or start a new one (Y). I am still feeling lethargic, low, and unable to sleep even with sleeping tablets and more depressed than when I started taking them. I'm scared to start again and would like to have the advice of a psychiatrist to find the right meds for me, but there isn't one in this community. So don't know what to do now. Is there a psychiatrist in Albany as that's our nearest large centre? not coping at all, need urgent help. Thanks,