FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A few questions from a newbie

CJ7
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I finally build up the courage and went to a GP to get help with anxiety/depression.

It was a lot quicker and less conversation than I had expected. And I have known for a long time now that I have anxiety and depression but he didn't confirm to me verbally that I do. I really wanted that diagnosis verbalised to me.

Anyway he set up a Mental health plan for me. He referred me to a psychiatrist. On my referral he wrote "prolonged depression". But I still don't feel that confirmation of a diagnosis.

- Will the psychiatrist discuss diagnosis with me?

- I understand there is 6 session which after rebated through Medicare but how much is? Is it 6 free sessions or do they only refund partial?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

startingnew
Community Member
Hi there CJ
Welcome to BB 🙂
ive just responded on your other thread hoping you went to see your
gp. Im very glad that you have 🙂

the psychiatrist
will discuss quite abit with you including what medications will be
best suited to you, your thoughts and feelings (kinda like a
psychologist) but bear in mind you only have to say what your
comfortable with and theres no pressure to get it out in one session.
They will dicsuss a diagnsis with you and if by the end of the
session they ahvent fully said what you have dont be afriad to just
ask them 'what is my mh diagnosis?” they will tell you 🙂

in regards to payment- I cant fully speak for everyone else but in my experience I paid the full fee for the first session then I only paid a small
amount after that and the rest was paid by medicare. I get cheques
sent to me and I hand those cheques in to see me psychiatrist each
time I go

Guest_9809
Community Member

Hi CJ7, and welcome to the BB Forums.

Well done on summoning the courage to see your GP about your anxiety and depression.

These days GPs are well versed on mental health issues, so discussing it with them is no longer the ordeal it once was. This makes it so much easier than it once was. The fact that MH issues are now very much in the public eye has definitely improved things for all of us. A greater understanding and acceptance that MH issues are no different to any other physical illness, and affect people from all walks of life.

Given that your GP has stated on your referral "prolonged depression" I think it is safe to say that he has already diagnosed you with depression. Your psychiatrist will talk to you and no doubt confirm this, as well as discuss appropriate treatment options with you. When you see your psychiatrist, please ensure you ask whatever questions you have of him. He is there to diagnose, treat and explain everything to you.

Mental Health Care Plans (MHCP) are developed by your GP for people they determine have a mental illness which requires ongoing care from other healthcare professionals to best treat you. Providing ongoing care may involve a number of people including your GP, psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses or community care providers. They all form part of your ongoing healthcare team. At this stage you have been referred to a psychiatrist, but that may change depending on what your psychiatrist says.

MHCPs entitle you to 6 Medicare subsidised visits to a psychiatrist or psychologist per year. An additional 4 visits can be approved by your GP if they decide further visits are needed. The medicare rebate is currently $124.50 per visit. Some providers accept that as full payment, but others you'll need to pay a gap payment. For example my psychologist charges $165 per visit, which I pay in full. Medicare provides a rebate of $124.50 straight into my bank account, and its all done through my psychologist. Meaning I am $40.50 out of pocket per visit. I am in a rural area though, with very few bulk billing options available. If you are in the city, you may not have to pay anything. Best to check when you make an appointment as to how much out of pocket you'll be. So there is no definitive answer in other words, they are all different.

I hope I have adequately answered your questions? If there is anything more I can assist you with, please come back and ask.

Taurus

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello CJ, normally your doctor will give you 10 free sessions because you can always stop if you feel as though you are alright, but if a gap fee has to be paid then it's minimal.
Six sessions aren't long enough and even 10 sessions also may not be adequate time to help you overcome this illness.
The reason I say this is because the first two sessions will be getting to know each other, so if you only have 6 sessions then that leaves four to get you better, I wish it was that easy, but it never is, you have to see whether the medication you are prescribed is not adversely affecting you, and it does then you will have try another brand, and if you are feeling unwell then it's hard to be able discuss your situation with them, it will go in one ear and out the other.
I also believe that your doctor has diagnosed you with depression, but please remember that some doctors want to take it slowly with their patient and get them to gradually realise that they do have depression, this all depends on how they see their patient reacting.
Can I ask you to google K-10, it's a test which will give you a figure between 1 to 10 to indicate your depression level, but please do it a couple of times, not straight after each other, but different times of the day, then you can take this when you see your psychiatrist. Geoff.

Sophie_M
Hi CJ7, welcome to the forums. We ask that our members keep to one thread per topic, so we're going to close this off and ask that everyone keep the discussion going in the original thread below:

Getting professional assessment