FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Suicidal sister

Ash_J
Community Member

Hi everyone,

My sister has been dealing with anxieties for such a long time. This has gotten worse lately, I believe she is depressed as she takes everything negatively. She cannot let go things that has happened in the past and keeps going around it. She wants everyone to give her attention, things to go her way, needs sympathy or it triggers her anxiety. This has gotten worse lately, she tried committing suicide last week but posted about it (indirectly) in social media an hour before doing it. Now what does that mean?

I’m really confused. I have never dealt with a similar situation and I don’t know how to approach this situation. She doesn’t really talk to me and even if I say anything, she tends to take it negatively. I keep thinking about this a lot and everyone has expectation from me as I’m the one who lives with her. I feel anxious too when I think about it. I’ve advised her that she should seek help and I can come along if you need someone but I don’t think she is willing to seek help. And I’m tired of waking up everyday and thinking about this all over again and again.

2 Replies 2

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Ash J

Welcome and I am so sorry that you have to manage these feelings and this pressure to "get it right" with your sister. She is clearly struggling and is need of some help. Now this does not mean the responsibility falls on you, but you are part of the team to help her, and SO IS SHE...the journey to wellness will not progress without her on board.

Being a carer or a person living with someone who is suicidal is I imagine a very stressful and heartbreaking thing to have to do, please make sure that you take some time to get some support for you too. Just as your sister can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 at anytime to get some support, so can you. There is also the wonderful people at Beyond Blue on the phone that can help 1300 22 4636 and mostly if your sister is ever in immediate danger or is not safe, please call 000 and have an ambulance come.

You ask a very interesting question as to "what does that mean?", I am no therapist and I am not a counsellor either but being here I have learnt a thing or two about suicide (I lost my 19 yo brother almost a year ago) and about people who have suicidal thoughts. For us that do not it is a very hard concept to manage that "why don't they get help?" "how selfish to want to die?" "what am I supposed to do?"..firstly can I say that we need to alter our thinking, your sister is clearly screaming out for help and this can be seen as attention seeking, however, once we accept that this person is in a very dark place and along with depression and anxiety and feeling very negative about life and about themselves we can support them without judgement. Your sister does need your support and this might be in the way of a conversation, asking how you can help her, what she needs from you in her dark times, providing her with support phone numbers or even making an appointment for her at the GP and offering to go with her. But as I said before, she needs to be part of the team for her journey to start.

I am so glad you have come to chat and to get some support and some ideas on how to support your sister, I am hoping you will chat some more, you may even suggest this to your sister as a place she can come to chat and get some support without judgement or criticism, it could be a start for her too.

Can you take some time to walk with her or do some things that she enjoys too? This might help with showing her you do care and you want to be apart of the team to support her.

Hugs to you Ash J

Sarah

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

..I meant to add this link too...

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/have-the-conversation

It might help you with having conversations with her and with your family if you need support.

S