FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,005 Replies 1,005

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
On another note today my son did not have a very good day at school and had a meltdown.He didn't have a very good night last night and had trouble sleeping.When I dropped him off at school he seemed ok but later had a meltdown.I am just wondering if part of the reason might be that his sister has finished school.I will see how he goes tomorrow.

Hanna3
Community Member

I hope your son is OK tomorrow Matchy.

Just wondering if you - or your kids - suffered any bullying at school? Knowing how horrible kids can be to anyone even slightly different. I copped a lot just from being quiet!

Just wondering if it's much of a problem?. Best of luck to your daughter tomorrow, do let us know how she goes! 🙂👍

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna I copped heaps of bullying when I was at school.Still effects me to this day.My kids don't seem to get bullied.The small country schools seem to control it better these days.Their is about 60 in my son's school and about 200 in the high school.

Thanks for the well wishes for my daughter tomorrow.

Take care,

Mark.

Hanna3
Community Member

Thanks Matchy I'm sorry that happened to you.

I was asking because I know someone who is on the spectrum and very shy and I have been wondering if they had a bad time at school although they're adult now.

I'm glad your children haven't had to suffer from it.

Kids were horrible when I was at primary school long ago. I was very quiet and shy and insecure and I'm sure kids smell fear - I copped so much nastiness from the other girls! I'm in my sixties and it still sticks in my mind.

So I've been wondering what this poor person whose in their 50s went through. I've had a hunch bullying would have happened for sure.

Childhood bullying really has a terrible effect doesn't it?

So glad to hear your children haven't had to go through that.

Do let us know how your daughter gets on!

Cheers and thanks! 🙂👍

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna my daughters trial went ok but she didn't get the job.She was looking for someone with better customer skills.At least she did the trial and gave her experience for looking for a job.Shes been looking for a job with animals so hopefully something turns up in that field.My ex had a meeting with NDIS today and unfortunately I couldn't attend as I had to take my daughter to her job trial.They said their was financial support their for her but is a bit confusing what you can spend the money on.She thinks money can be spent on driving lessons for her.She needs a new laptop for Tafe but not sure if they will fund that.

My son had a better day at school today.It can be up and down for him.settled better today.

Bullying is such a tortures thing in school and can permanently effect a person.A lot of people don't like talking about it.I found out a couple of my real bad bullies ended up in jail.They were really bad apples.

I hope you and Sam had a good day.

Take care,

Mark.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Another bad day for my son at school as he had another meltdown after having a couple of good days.He had to be picked up early today.I am feeling stressed and not sure what to do.He has a good year up to now.

Mark

Even in primary school as a teacher some students and parents found the end of year quite difficult,
You are a very caring and patient at times but it must be difficult to see your son having a melt down at school after a good year.

I worked with special needs children who went to high school and were tormented and told to do humiliating things by older students. So sad.

Thanks quirky I know what it is like to be different and made a fool of as it use to happen to me in school.

I think with my son it might be with my daughter finishing school and talking about moving out of home,getting a job and buying a car.My son has another 8 years of school.Its very hard to explain things to my son,he just has meltdowns.Hopefully when things get more routinely for my daughter and my son gets use to it things improve for him.

Take care,

Mark.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark

That all must make your son anxious. Sounds like you're a very caring parent!

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Hanna I try to be the best parent I can but it is a difficult thing.Having special needs children has its moments but I love my kids no matter what and except them the way they are.I was a special needs child myself but did not know it or my parents.Their is so much more knowledge on special needs children these days and the schools recognise them these days and have plans and support in place for them.I wonder how my life would be today with these supports in place.I try and make my children lives the best I can.

Take care,

Mark.