FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Lovely Girlfriend..

DiaryOfHer
Community Member

I love my girlfriend with all my heart, she has been through so much! She has lost a close friend to suicide and another in a car crash. she has been sexually abused and put into hospital and has been decieved and lied to more than anyone I know. She is a lovely person. I don't know how she can care for people as much as she does with what's happened to her. But she is there for anyone when they need it. Unfortunately she is the one that I think needs help. She puts on this brave face to everyone else but I know what she's really like. She has really bad days where she doesn't want to get out of bed or do anything. She use to hurt herself to make it feel better but from my understanding she has stopped a while ago. I try and help her as much as I can but I think she needs to get some sort of professional help. She hates the idea of talking to anyone other than me about it. How can I convince her that it's the right thing? Is anyone in the same position? Does anyone have anything to say that will help her or comfort her? I'm running out of ideas. I just want to fix it.

-DiaryOfHer

1 Reply 1

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

hello, your story is a sad one for her to have to endue all of this, but she has a girlfriend like you that is very supportive and caring, which is what she definitely needs, and I am sure she appreciates this a great deal.

She is definitely suffering from depression and this needs to be taken care of.

What I would do is to click 'resources' at the top of this page and get BB to send out all the printed information that is available, it's free but very informative, you can either both read it together or by yourself. It will explain that if someone is suffering from these sorts of feelings that this means they need to see a professional psychologist. I only say psychologist because they have a different attitude towards someone, a more caring approach, and that's only from experience.

I'm sure that she trusts you by this, 'she hates the idea of talking to anyone other than me', so this really puts you in the box seat. If for some reason she is too overwhelmed by this printed information then just have it laying around, and hopefully she will pick it up and browse through it.

Another option is to watch Dr. Phil who also counsels people on telly, but don't go overboard and over kill the idea of seeing someone. This is only to encourage her to see someone, and if she is too anxious about seeing this show, then turn it off.

You could also tell her that you will go with her to an appointment, and organise one for her, and this can be done by clicking 'get support' on the top again, but this would have to be done through her doctor, as a referral is needed, and there are 10 free appointments that are available.

I truly hope that any of this helps, and please keep in contact with us. Geoff.