FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My boyfriend is struggling

thegrassisgreener
Community Member
Hi. This is my first time posting on here. I'm worried about my boyfriend. He has struggled with anxiety and depression most of his adult life i think. He is 29 now. Lately his depression has become a lot worse. I've also had my battles with anxiety and depression, so I can relate, but not to the level that he is at. He feels that he is a failure to everyone. The way he sees his life and what's happening around him is completely off. I'm very supportive and I try and come up with strategies to help, but I can see that he doesn't think they will help. He's been saying he will go see a psychologist but he just can't get himself to do it. How can I help? I want to do more but I don't want to smother him or look like I'm taking over. I'm very worried that he is going to get to a point where he is so exhausted and just wants to give up. I love him more than anything. Any thoughts or suggestions?
1 Reply 1

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear TGG, sorry for the abbreviation, but thanks for posting a comment on this site.

It's always so traumatic when our partner begins to suffer from some sort of depression, because we feel helpless.

The both of you have suffered from some sort of depression, but at the moment it's your boyfriend that you you are worried about.

What I would suggest to you is to start by you and him seeing his GP, who will then offer some medication and then suggest for him to visit a psychologist on a medicare plan, this can work for him because his doctor has more authority and what he/she suggests always seems for them to take note.

He may however talk to you and say that he doesn't want to see them, but in your loving way you have to try and encourage him that that's what his  doctor has suggested, and then perhaps say to him to give it a try for a couple of sessions, and also say that you will go with him if he wants this to happen, so again just try and entice him to go.

Please let us know the both of you are.  L Geoff. x