FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Brisbane support groups for loved ones

St3ph89
Community Member

Hi, I live in Brisbane and I am looking for other people who live with someone suffering depression.

My boyfriend of 3 years suffers depression and I would really like to connect with someone who is in a similar situation.

Does anyone know of any support groups that meet outside of work hours?

3 Replies 3

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi St3ph89,

Welcome to the forums. If you give our support service a call on 1300 22 4636, they may be able to assist you with referrals to support groups in your area.  

Our members here will be able to chat with you online regarding support and advice about living with a partner who has depression.

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi St3ph89,

Welcome! 

Having a mental illness myself I often wonder what I would do without the support of my partner who is also my primary carer?

It can take a lot of effort to assist and support someone through depression,  and sometimes it feels like there is little gain. I give my partner access to my treatment team, and ensure that he's getting support as well. Sometimes this is through talking with me, seeing a Dr, inviting him to carers information sessions through my outpatient facility,  or even just some time off to do things he enjoys.

I think the most important aspect of his role as a carer is to be there to listen, non judgementally, and knowing that he won't always have the answers.

We also devised my crisis/relapse prevention plan together, with the help of a Psychologist. He uses this as his little bible to help me, or offer suggestions.  It helps not to have to think of everything on the spot in times of absolute distress.

I hope, as per Chris' advice, that you will contact Beyondblue,  and I have no doubt there will be others who can support you here on the forums. 

AGrace

BrisFirstTimeMum7
Community Member

Hi St3ph89

I'm suffering post-natal depression & am desperately trying to seek a support group for my boyfriend to go to outside business hours. I called Beyond Blue but all they did was give me 6 different phone numbers to call. If I find one in Brisbane after calling them this week I will post it on here for you xx