FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Your greatest promise with suicidal thoughts and/or self harm. TRIGGER WARNING

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Some time ago I wrote about acceptance whether it was our biggest challenge see link. That was in view of accepting our mental health issues, a goal you would want to reach whereby you have all things in place- diagnosis, medication, therapy and lifestyle. A point in the process where you are living your life the best you can as functionally as you can, as close to normal as you can get considering that huge hand you've been dealt. Acceptance at this level is great because you have accepted your lack of some capabilities under extreme conditions.. Great! But rarely is it achieved hence the title of the greatest challenge.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/acceptance-is-this-our-biggest-challenge/td-p/14769...

Then there was the theory of switching our mind in thought, to do the opposite of a physical need, like needing to go for a walk and instead we remain lying on the lounge. To do the opposite of what our brain is telling us to do is sometimes beneficial. It takes training, practice and determination, see link. 

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/switching-mindsets/td-p/274532  

Combine the above together for your greatest challenge- the realisation that you need help with suicidal thought or mental crisis - to not remain in a "it will pass" state of mind... To get help no matter what you are thinking at the time, if you are thinking of or acting out self harm, having suicidal thoughts regardless of what level of seriousness, even if you do not believe you are a threat to yourself

WHEN THE TEARS START FALLING COMBINED WITH FEELINGS OF HOPELESSNESS  PLEASE SEEK HELP NO MATTER HOW OFTEN.

In my experience of hundreds of such episodes I believe all such episodes are a short step from making that one action of attempt, I'm not mincing words, I'm trying to accurately describe the sad, horrifying place that ouR state of mind exists in that zone of depression. Many of you know where that place is. On one occasion only I took it to another level and will never go there again and now I will get help every time, it's my pledge., my promise to myself.

Yes, our greatest challenge is very simple. Tell a loved one you feel you are in danger and ask them to contact someone be it suicide watch 131114 Beyondblue 1300 224 636 or ambulance. Or do yourself the best favour ever- contact them yourself and ask for help. 

I'm up for the promise, let's ride that challenge together. Thoughts?

PS  please read the first post on each of those links above 

TonyWK

0 Replies 0