FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Would you and how to tell your GP you self harm?

LJpd81
Community Member

Recently I have been self harming. Im not sure if I'm allowed to say how though. Should I tell my doctor? And if I do , how do I tell her? She is quite approachable and lovely. The idea of telling her that I S/H, fills me with so much anxiety! How do I blurt that out? What would she do? I already am booked for 6 psychologist appointments and I have written it down as one of my reasons for attending. Any advice please?

Thanks very much.

210 Replies 210

Rupes79
Community Member

Thanks LJ I’m doing better today. I have some really low points at times, last night was one of those.

It appears those calls are not confidential.

LJpd81
Community Member
Thanks very much. I haven't seen my psychologist yet and I'm not any medication. Blood pressure but nothing for feeling anxious or sad. I have to wait for September for my appointment. I am happy there are phone counsellors in the mean time and this forum.

LJpd81
Community Member

I'm glad you're ok Rupe.

I'm wondering if they got your details from your phone number? Or email? I wonder. That scares me too.

Can anyone from Beyond Blue clarify please how lifeline would get personal details?

Hi team!

We can't be 100% certain how Lifeline would have accessed your details. However, upon reading their terms of use it does says "In situations where Lifeline personnel believe that life is in immediate danger, Lifeline has a duty of care to contact emergency services. In these circumstances, Lifeline will disclose any identifiable and relevant information obtained during the text conversation to emergency services".

You can read more about the types of information they collect and how it may be used here: https://www.lifeline.org.au/media/igzp1al2/lifeline-australia-privacy-policy-june-2018-wfgjuucilopn....

LJpd81
Community Member
Thank you Sophie. I assume when I self harm and I call someone, that's not a reason for emergency services to be called? As I will never go further than that and hurt myself further. Just self harm

Rupes79
Community Member

It was an online chat Sophie. They ask for personal details, including phone number, before putting you through to a counsellor. I didn’t give my real number for fear of this exact situation.

Appears my conspiratorial mindset was justified. I didn’t get a visit from anyone.

Hey Rupes79,

Thank you for sharing that with me. I wasn't aware they required your phone number. We can sympathise with how anxious that would cause you to feel. 

Hey LJpd81,

It depends on whether or not the counsellor perceives there to be a risk. If he or she believes there is an immediate risk of suicide, emergency services may be contacted. It's important to let the counsellor know whether or not you feel safe. 

LJpd81
Community Member

As long as you're safe now. Always here if you want a chat.

Louise

hey Rupes79.

I publish a way to maintain anonymity even on a phone call over in Unsure77's thread.

We can hide our mobile numbers quite easily for a simple anon.

Or we can ramp anon right up through using skype... or even further maybe.

Rupes79
Community Member

Thanks Louise, yes I am safe now. A visit would have heightened my distress.

In terms of your question about self harm you will need to be careful. If they think you’re at risk of harm they will notify emergency services.