FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Would you and how to tell your GP you self harm?

LJpd81
Community Member

Recently I have been self harming. Im not sure if I'm allowed to say how though. Should I tell my doctor? And if I do , how do I tell her? She is quite approachable and lovely. The idea of telling her that I S/H, fills me with so much anxiety! How do I blurt that out? What would she do? I already am booked for 6 psychologist appointments and I have written it down as one of my reasons for attending. Any advice please?

Thanks very much.

210 Replies 210

Harpbird
Community Member
Oh LJ , I feel for you, I understand where your coming from. I know everyone IS different and ‘no one’ can say “ I know how you feel” we all have our ways of coping or not coping. You really are stronger than you think to be on BB for help, advice ect. before you tell your GP ask him/her not to tell psychologist as your not ready to go there yet. I had my lowest week in a long time two weeks ago and being on here people listen, reply or even those that come on and read and not ready to post you could be helping them. Got to get it out on here. Xx

Guest9337
Community Member

Yeh I pass on my weed use info to all my docs.

LJpd81
Community Member

Thanks so much everyone. Yes it was difficult making that call. It wasn't easy. I spoke for half an hour to a lovely man. He was very concerned.

My friend has messaged me constantly today and says she is very worried about me and not to S/H. I haven't today. I have been distracted today as I have been any sitting my little niece's. Haven't had time to be anxious or worried or sad.

I feel chatting to Beyond blue counsellor last night was practice for my psychologist appointment.

LJpd81
Community Member
Hig hugs to you too. I hope you are doing ok now

LJpd81
Community Member

I'm in the toilets and just S/H. This is not normal. I don't know what's happening to me. I used to be so happy.

I'm at trampoline world with my niece's and nephew's and sister and brother in law. Sudden feelings of sadness and wanting to cry came over me. Just feeling in a down mood. I'm ok. Just expressingmy feelings.

Hey LJpd81,

We've just sent an email to you privately, 

It sounds as though things are really rough at the moment, remember to be kind to yourself. 

LJpd81
Community Member
Thanks so much. I just responded.

Rupes79
Community Member
I reached out to lifeline last night as was really struggling with my depression and anxiety and they said they were notifying emergency services. I don’t know how they would have got in touch with me though and I thought that service was supposed to be confidential?

LJpd81
Community Member

Are you ok now? It's such a brave thing to reach out for help and make that call.

Surely they can't call emergency services without your permission.

I hope you're ok

UltimaMic
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I am glad you recognize that SH behavior is not normal behavior - this shows a part of you is still rational and you know you need help. It sounds like you are led by strong negative emotions to SH. I know as I have been there. I hope your psych has talked to you about CBT and other things we can do when we start to feel very low emotionally. We have to learn to adapt to our experiences. Many at BB and on this forum have been where you have been so you are not alone in this.

The meds will take time to take effect and for the first couple of weeks we can feel low - but I strongly encourage you to not drink with the meds. Try some mocktails or non-alcoholic beverages if you like the taste - there is a growing range of alternatives. Try to get into those comedies when you are feeling low - you mentioned Kath and Kim as a favorite - they can distract us and cheer us up. I love a lot of silly dry humor - so The Office, Flight of the Concords, IT Crowd gets me giggling.

The meds and psych will balance out those emotions in time - you need to take it day by day. If you are getting to SH stage first ring the lifeline/BB number and get someone to talk to - that connection can help anchor us in reality without going through the motions of SH (I have used Lifeline to help me stay grounded before I could have made very bad decisions when I was in bad places mentally)