FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Would you and how to tell your GP you self harm?

LJpd81
Community Member

Recently I have been self harming. Im not sure if I'm allowed to say how though. Should I tell my doctor? And if I do , how do I tell her? She is quite approachable and lovely. The idea of telling her that I S/H, fills me with so much anxiety! How do I blurt that out? What would she do? I already am booked for 6 psychologist appointments and I have written it down as one of my reasons for attending. Any advice please?

Thanks very much.

210 Replies 210

LJpd81
Community Member
Thank you. I'm ok though. Thank you for caring

LJpd81
Community Member

I am crying over the song, We are the world and every song really. What's wrong with me.

I feel I need to talk to my doctor that I like wine. Because I'm thinking my doctor will know my points of my issues, which are depression, anxiety, self harm and alcohol dependence because of my psychologist. Do I say, don't want to hide it. I think my GP and psychologist will communicate as I have a mental health plan.

LJpd81
Community Member
What i meant to say, is, do I tell my GP every issue? Because I feel it will be communicated back to her via my psychologist. So I'm confused. Thank you

keets97
Community Member

Hi LJpd81!

I am very sorry to hear that you’re going through so much at the moment, I am also very proud of you for reaching out and seeking advice. It takes a lot of courage to do so.

I would definitely talk to your GP about S/H and what you are going through at the moment. GP’s are very helpful and are there to help support you through whatever it is you need. Even though you will discuss this with your psychologist, I think it would be also beneficial to mention to your GP about all that has been going on for you and what has been happening in terms of SH. She may offer further options for help and offer you guidance & coping mechanisms to help you when you are feeling like you want to SH.

Your best friend sounds amazing too! She sounds like she will always be there for you if you need a chat, sometimes it is helpful to talk to people you trust about what is going on for you. Sometimes it is good to have a good vent and let things off your chest. 🙂

We are all here for you, all the best for your GP appointment 🙂

LJpd81
Community Member

I just feel horrible. My best friend promised I wouldn't, and I did tonight S/H. I feel terrible.

I will talk to my doctor. Do I mention alcohol or not?

Yes mt best friend is amazing. She has her own stuff going on, yet there for me. I feel terrible for worrying her.

Thanks so much for the support too.

LJpd81
Community Member
I'm feeling a bit scared. A Beyond blue counsellor is meant to be ringing me soon and I feel so scared. Ahh

LJpd81
Community Member
Well, i missed 2 calls. Stayed up especially. Phone rung 10 seconds. I just missed both. So if I want to speak to someone, I need to ring. I'm so upset right now. I wanted to speak to someone. I can barely see through tears . I have to get to bed as babysitting today, Saturday.

LJpd81
Community Member
I rung the hotline. The guy I spoke to was very helpful and calming. Recommend.

LJpd81
Community Member
I am so tired this morning. I stayed up to talk to someone plus I had a few drinks. I feel so bad today, I had to get up as I am baby sitting today.

Well done I am so proud of you.

The people at Beyond Blue are angels. So wonderful and I am glad you felt the support and care but that you called. I could hear how terrified you were to do that.

I hope this gives you some comfort too to be able to use the support services when you feel so overwhelmed.

You do have a very dear friend and maybe a little change of thinking here and instead of thinking you don’t want to call or text so as not to worry her.. how about letting her be the friend she is and letting her be there for you to love and care for you.. after all that is what you would do for her. Let her xxx

Much love and hugs today xx

Sarah xx