FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

whats the point??

carer1
Community Member

I have cared for others, family and strangers for decades. now there is just me and my disabled daughter in a rental, I am now having my own medical issues and there is no one to care for me or even help.  Im on govt housing list for a 2 bedroom duplex , I was initially told a 2 bedroom house of which I am grateful but one we looked at was too small for my bed and already the next door neighbour started sticking his nose in so I turned it down.I cannot live so close to people. even knowing they are there is enough.  today I got a call from housing office because I emailed the minister having a go at him so he had a go at them. She seemed to have an atitude problem, though I was on the list for a 2 bedroom house there is none unless we want to move a long way away and start re establishing medical care etc..  There is a lot of talk about people my age ( I am 63 ) retiring , superannuation, I wont retire and I have no super, I made the mistake of leaving my nursing job to care for family.  ( no good deed goes unpunished ) and now I am really paying for it.  Do we have to see suicide as the only solution ??  if we have to move onto the streets or a flat I will burn where we are to the ground that way I wont have to worry about where my disability scooter is going to fit etc   I have had enough , well and truly reached my limit.  though plotting suicide does calm me a bit.  LIfe shouldnt be like this.  

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I recall many years ago while working at a council in Melbourne. Dissatisfied with my bosses decision on something I went over his head to a councillor to complain. He was interviewed over it. The following day the councillor asked me if I'd discussed the bosses decision with his to see if he would have changed it, I hadn't. In effect he said "you are dobbing in your boss and that doesnt make for a good working relationship, you wont get the best out of him now" and I didnt, it was hell from then on.

My point is that I'm certain the housing people do their best with people. They know there is many factors that prompt the renter to knock back a house. They also know that some houses arent suitable. The better approach might have been to explain fully to them why you have to reject their offer (if you hadnt) and show appreciation so you might get first inspection at the next house. The fact is that there is a  huge shortage of housing now and there is no magic wand.

At 40yo I had no choice but to live in a 10ft caravan for 14 months. I had some down days but I strived and eventually moved into a home I built, my only method of getting my own home. Not everyone can do that I understand. If you become very desperate perhaps a large caravan moved into a caravan park is a suggestion. 

If there was easy answers to your situation I'm sure you would have thought about it, or me or other members. Hopefully someone has a remedy.

I hope you are ok and persevere. You are a kind soul and you deserve a break. 

TonyWK