FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to this forum struggling with Anxiety and depression leading to suicidal thoughts

Tim_31
Community Member

Hi,

Over the last 3 months I've a been dealing with a lot of depression and anxiety relating to my family business and that we are financially struggling. Its has brought on severe suicidal thoughts, to the point of almost attempting. I have dealt with anxiety in the past. I even took another job briefly to reduced wage pressure. That other job wasn't for me, so I'm currently back with the family business. I find performing even the simplest of tasks hard and try to avoid, which only makes the situation worse. I've had other job offers, but i cant get past the fact that i will hate the job and not be able to perform them, also choosing the which one to take seems near impossible.

I have seen a psychologist previously which helped a little. I'm booked in to see again, but wasn't real confident in their ability to help. It seems really hard to find a good one that is available at the moment.

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hey Tim,

It sounds like an incredibly difficult time. We can hear you’re going through a lot, and have been feeling suicidal. We’re really glad you could share here, and it’s a really brave step to have taken.

We’re reaching out to you privately. In the meantime, we’d really encourage you to give us a call on the Beyond Blue Support Service. We are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 and our counsellors are really good at talking people through moments like this and working out options for more support. You can also reach them on webchat (11am-12am AEDT), here.

Another option would be ringing Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467), which can sit with you in these feelings and help you to plan for your safety. The Beyond Blue safety planning app might be worth looking at, too. You can read about how it works and where to download it here. You can even call Lifeline (13 11 14) and compete it with one of their counsellors over the phone if you'd like.

We’re sure we’ll hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Tim_31
Community Member
Thank you Sophie

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Tim,

I am really sorry about what you are going through. I can see that you are feeling anxious and exhausted.

Therapy takes time, a few sessions will not do much. You have to feel a real connection with your psychologist for your therapy to work. It can take up to a year or even more. If you feel as if you can't gain any connection, ask your local GP to refer you to a new one. It's all about the right fit.

In the meantime, as Sophie M said, you can speak to the Beyond Blue phone service 1300 22 4636 or chat service if you aren't ready to talk to someone by voice: https://online.beyondblue.org.au/#/chat/start

Please stay safe and i am here to chat if you need me.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Tim31,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand the suicidal thoughts, I went through severe anxiety OCD this was accompanied by horrible dark intrusive thoughts they really scared me. I’ve now recovered and these thoughts have lifted.

Have you spoken to your gp about the type of thoughts you are experiencing?

If you have seen your gp please go back and explain if you feel you are getting worse. I’m sorry you almost attempted maybe speaking to your gp about this will help, so your gp can understand the severity of anxiety and depression you are feeling.

I think it’s great that you have seen a psychologist if they didn’t seem helpful maybe see if there is a different one you can see, I saw a clinical psychologist a clinical phycologist can diagnose a normal psychologist can’t.

Sophie has given you some great contacts I think it’s a good idea for you to give them a call, it helps to talk.

Im here to chat to you anytime