FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Intrusive thoughts

jujusbizarrecircus
Community Member

For the past two years I've been dealing with intrusive thoughts about suicide. Like a pesky fly buzzing around the room on good days, like a swarm of flies armed with clubs and bludgeoning my head in on bad days. Sometimes it's because I forgot to buy orange juice, other times because I worry that I said something that might make my friends not like me anymore. Sometimes there's just no obvious reason. It's like an automated, scheduled reminder of how messed up my head is.

I don't think I actually want to die. There are many things I love about being alive, like music, D&D, and my friends. Sometimes I feel like life is a sham, and I just get tired of it all, but ultimately I want to keep going because I do have things to live for.

It's so isolating, though. How do you talk about having daily suicidal thoughts when you're not really that suicidal? I feel guilty about making people worried about me, so I haven't told anyone except my psychologist and strangers online (like you all 🙂 ). But I don't want to keep it all in anymore. I think I want to tell one of my friends about it, someone who's sort of going through something similar and who'd get it instead of freaking out.

Idk, I'm just tired.

7 Replies 7

Sophie_M
Hi jujusbizarrecircus,

Welcome to our friendly online community! We're so glad to decided to reach out here tonight. We're so sorry to hear that you've been dealing with intrusive thoughts. We understand that not feeling able to share this with your friends would be isolating. Hopefully a few of our member will pop by over the next few days with some welcoming words.

We're glad to hear that you have so much to live for and that you're seeing a psychologist. It sounds like you're a really strong person. Please remember that as well as your psychologist you are welcome to reach out to telephone and webchat counsellors available to you:
  • Kids Help Line - they are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under
  • Lifeline (13 11 14)
  • Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).

It might also be worth taking a look at some Beyond Blue resources:
Thanks again for reaching out. Please feel free to keep us updated on your journey here whenever you feel like it.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi and welcome to beyond blue.

Can I ask whether the thoughts are fleeting or more than that?

Ii have had a conversation, only partially at the moment, about suicidal thoughts. For me they are mainly fleeting and I get past them.

Hopefully this address will be allowed...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.healthquality.va.gov/guidelines/MH/...

Which contains many useful ideas. I also have an app on my phone as well. Equally important is a safety plan, but I assume you have this already?

A few of my friends know of my thoughts even if I don't tell them about every time it occurs. As fleeting thoughts I have come to accept them

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Sorry, hit post too early.

It was actually a friend who initiated the conversation with me. After that moment and depending on who I spoke to, when they asked me how I was would give them the real answer.

I am aware these thoughts can be difficult and distressing. There will be others on the forums here in similar positions. You have joined a supporting and nonjudgmental community.

Listening to you

Tim

Joseph
Community Member

Dungeons and dragons is cool. Have you considered joining a new D&D group or something?

I know what you mean about the negative thoughts.

If the thoughts get too pervasive, consider voluntarily checking yourself into a private mental health hospital, if you have the insurance. With any luck, you’ll be able to find some D&D nerds in there too.

Hi Tim,

The actual suicidal thoughts are fleeting, I can normally ignore or dismiss them but when I'm feeling low they can get overwhelming.

I don't think I need a safety plan as I don't think I'm in real danger, thanks for bringing it up though and I'll definitely keep that in mind in case I need one in the future.

Thank you for listening 🙂

Hey Joseph,

I'm actually making a homebrew campaign right now! It'll be my first time DMing and I'm nervous but also excited.

Thanks for reading 🙂

Good to hear from you again.

If you are looking for an app try "virtual hope box" which has a lot a good tools on it for when you are feeling low. Also know that it is OK to talk to someone - even if that person is a professional.

On the D&D... good luck there. I would play many moons ago but no longer. I am sure you will do a fine job.