FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I don’t know what to do

sky98
Community Member

So I think I might have depression I stay in bed all day but I go to work I put a fake smile and I used to skate but I lost interest for no reason as well my family ask me how I’m doing I say I’m fine and I do want to tell them but I just feel scared I also have had thoughts of suicide but I know I will ever act on them because I don’t ever want my family to feel sad about it so what do I do? I’m sorry about my grammar but I’m in a rush to work I just wanted to post this and hopefully come home to something that might help me

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi sky98,

We’re really glad you could come to the forum to share this with our community. We're sorry to hear how difficult it has been for you lately. It certainly does sound as though you're experiencing the symptoms of depression, and it's really impacting on you so much that you're also experiencing thoughts of suicide, which means that we'd really love to know that you're getting the support you deserve and need.

We’ve reached out to you privately tonight to make sure you’re ok. If you want to reach out to our counsellors to talk this through, we’re on 1300 22 4636, and you can reach us online here. There’s also our friends over at the Suicide Call Back service on 1300 659 467, or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

We really recommend having a look at our Beyond Blue safety planning app called 'Beyond Now'. You can read about how it works and where to download it here. You can even call Lifeline and complete it with one of their counsellors over the phone if you'd like. Research has shown having a safety plan can be useful for reducing the intensity of suicidal thoughts and increasing people’s ability to cope with them, so please consider checking it out when you are able to.

Please keep sharing your words, and your experience on our forums. Finding a way to ensure you are not bottling everything up and keeping it all inside is really important. Please also have a look at our website here to complete the online depression checklist. It's helpful for you if you would like to gain a measurement of how distressed you've been recently, and please also consider taking the results of this test with you to see your GP ASAP if you can.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello sky, if you have a good understanding with your family or perhaps friends, you do want to tell them about how you are feeling, but a couple of things stop you, and the first is that you fear they won't believe you and the second they offer advice which would not benefit you, that's why you don't tell them.

When someone says to me that 'they are fine' indicates that there is something wrong happening to them, and probably pretending to everyone, so this always raises a red flag and once talking with them, the truth slowly appears.

There is an online depression test which you can do but try and do it a few times, at different times of the day, once you have an answer then take this score with you to your doctor.

Ask them about the 'mental health plan', which entitles you to 20 Medicare paid sessions per year.

Once you begin to lose interest in what you once loved to do, indicates you do need to visit your doctor and get a diagnosis.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Fiatlux
Community Member

Hi beautiful sky98,

You are brave to post this for others to read and like you mention, you hope that someone or something might help you.

I am going through this very situation with my own son at the moment and I can't seem to get through to him.

Parents are at times at a loss as to how to help their own child except to be there for them, encourage them to speak to someone and be there to support them through the rough times.

Please keep posting and I am sure that others will be here to listen and offer encouragement and support.

You can and will get through and past this. 🙏