FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Apology not required

Robbie8
Community Member

Mmm today I was so close to harming myself. Luckily I was able to find an available doctor to speak to.  I sat in their office waiting room for nearly an hour non stop crying. I hadn't felt this way for many years and the talk helped. She made time for me and acknowledged my distress at why I was upset.  Being validated made me feel better. I will never apologise to a person that my friend is feeling they are being racist toward. Never. No matter how my boss forces me to do this. It upset me so much. They did not listen to my point of view. No one heard my voice that this is not acceptable no matter who it is against. Colleague or colleagues partner who my friend said that said these bad things towards them. I did not witness but no way in hell will I apologise for my friend that stood up to the racist comments. It is they that needs to apologise. NOT me nor my friend. 

No doubt I will recieve a written warning because I didnt apologise the way they wanted.. 

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Robbie

Bravo!! You are right, standing by your values no matter the consequences but to a point, allow me-

Once I was a dog ranger and part of my job was to issue parking fines. Terrible job. I got a complaint that a large white car was parked in a disabled zone all day. I issues 2 fines. Then my boss ordered me to cease issuing fines on that car alone. Reason- the car was a member of parliament Govt car. A local politician. So, what did I do? I kept issuing the fines if the car was there. What followed was a panic attack after an argument with my boss. But going to the Dr he said it was a heart attack. For 10 months I fought that process while on Workers compensation.

Now thats all good right? Yes, but it cost me my health, nearly my marriage, concerns from my family members. So what was the best thing to do? Well it all has to do with the following-

Stand up for your beliefs and your loyalty within reason to a degree that preserves your health, well being and financial capabilities. Standing between a friend and a lion isnt wise but helping your friend lower the net calmly could save both of you...

Eg If you lose your job then the price for your principles leads to hardship, that would be going too far with your determination. If you fought the process and your mental health suffered badly then you could be permanently impaired.

Anger needs to be contained. It is not ideal to be so upset. Eg As a young prison officer 42 years ago I got angry at a prisoner that was asking for shop items from me in a nasty manner. I got angry nearly out of control. A few days later he was due to ask for the items again and an older wiser officer told me "watch how I will do this". As the inmate asked for the items in the same nasty way the officer said very quietly and calmly "no". Thats all, a simple "no". Eventually the prisoner asked "why wont you give me my items"? The officer calmly said "ask nicely and you can have whatever you are entitled to, until then "no".

The prisoner asked nicely and got all his items and as he left the area I stopped him and gave him extra chocolate!.

As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat" and "always seek the easier way to accomplish a task"

I hope you recover.

TonyWK