FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Partner with bad mental health issues causing suicidal thoughts

Dan7991
Community Member

Hi my name is Dan

Ive been in a 3 way relationship for almost 2 years now with 2 guys, one I care about more than the other. He has been having serious mental health issues most of the time I have been with him, this has caused him to be cold and distant going as far as making me stay away from him a month or two at a time, in the past year he has found someone whom he claims to not be in a relationship but is always giving him cuddles and buying him things constantly, he has told me he is the only person who has been able to keep him from committing suicide himself. I am stuck on the side barely getting any attention and he only ever texts me when he needs something, this has been ongoing and is causing my mental health to decline rapidly to the point where I have never been closer to suicide in my life. I feel so unloved and used and I don’t know what to do. I still love him to t he point it hurts

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Hi Dan7991,  This sounds like a really difficult and isolating time. It sounds like it’s been a really difficult time for your partner and it must be really hard to comprehend and process all of this. It sounds like you care for them deeply and are trying to be supportive and understanding through this, but it’s also hard to manage your own wellbeing through such a big change. We’re glad you could share this here, as our lovely community will have kindness, advice and understanding for you.  Is there anyone that you feel able to talk to about this? It sounds like you could really do with talking things through, so please don’t hesitate to give the lovely Beyond Blue counsellors a call on 1300 22 4636 or speak to them on webchat here. There’s also some really good pointers here for staying connected, and finding support through a trying time.   It’s also really important to check in with yourself while you’re going through this, so it might be good to have a look at our pages on looking after yourself while supporting someone. There’s a really useful part about how it can affect relationships which might be useful to you, too.   It is wonderful that you have been able to reach out for support here on the forums, it must have been difficult to write this post but you never know who might read it and feel less alone in their own experience. Please keep sharing whenever you feel comfortable to do so. We hope our warm and kind community will spot your post and offer their support soon.   Kind regards,  Sophie M