FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Your experiences of group participation.

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi to all who have been kind enough to read this post,

I am coming to the end of current therapy and am looking for other options of support. One of the options I am considering is joining a support group. I have been fairly socially isolated for a lot of years and because of various experiences have trouble trusting people and I am fighting off the impulse of going it alone again. The decision is mine but I get the impression that the psychologist may think a group would be a good idea. If anyone wants to share their experiences of group participation, the good, the bad and the cautionary, I would be very grateful. Thanks, Chris.

5 Replies 5

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Hey Chris,

Groups are the basis of survival and society.  That's why working in a group is so important.  If you ever leave a group unexpectantly it's a tough adjustment and you always want to find another group.    Many pro sportsman end up working for the Police and Insurance companies, etc, just to maintain that group feel/bond.

Group therapy is no different.   The 26 weeks I did (Anger Management) was full of characters and had some personal changes as the course rotated IN the new members and OUT the members that had completed the course.   You can get to know someone going through the same experiences.  You can (looking for a man related word to do with empathy), er, "man-pathise".  TM  David.  Lol.

But the main beauty of groups is that you can discover you are not as bad off as some people.  This might sound cruel.   But the opportunity to help each other is always there in group therapy and the rates at which everyone "gets" a certain issue are vastly different.  A larger group of 10 or 12 would have 2 facilitators.

IN psychiatric hospitals groups are used for walking, arts, music, meetings, cooking, BBQ, bus trips, meals, tv lounges (with 18+ chairs !) and sports.  Even the sleeping dorms in the old days were basically small groups of 5 or 6 although modern living now dictates a single room each.   Strange though it may be ,I actually missed the dorms - something to do with the humour and old Army Barracks thing of looking out for each other.

Or as "Pandora's Box" responded in a discussion (2 months ago !) about threads not being picked up for 4 or 5 days (based on the fact that all posts are valid) that "no soldier will be left behind".   He'll be back in the uni break soon along with Rodentron/Batman.  Able lads each with many a contribution to BB.   

A horse on the prairie that is shunned from the group will not survive.  The will to be accepted is probably one of the strongest factors in human life.   And if you don't like one group you can always change to another one.  Or grow a beard.

Adios, David.

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading your posts.

I may have some trouble with the man-pathising (is empathy a feminine characteristic) and hopefully the growing of a beard is out of the question but I like your image of the horse on the prairie. I already know that I am not that bad off. I do not have to go beyond my own family to find I am not as bad off as some people. It would be good to get to know people going through the same experiences. You have given me lots to think about. Cheers, Chris.

Rowan_Milligan
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Chris, 

As a person who usually likes to steer clear of most group situations, I did actually find group therapy quite beneficial as it provided a variety of perspectives on a shared experience. There was a mixture of people at different stages of illness/recovery and this really helped to combat feelings of isolation. I also found that participating in this group enabled me to feel a little more comfortable and objective towards my experience, as I was able to understand the path that others had been on, and was able to share my own experiences in a comfortable environment without unwanted sympathy, worry, or general misunderstanding that you may tend to find with others. The other plus side was that I was able to discuss things freely without the feelings attached that you were negatively affecting those around you.

I also came into this group when my individual therapy was coming to a close, though it was a specified therapy group as opposed to a support group. I would assume though that the positives would be similar, if not the same. With all that being said though, I suppose it is subjective. There were others in the group that didn't find that it helped at all and chose not to continue. Going off my own experience though, the group I was in was made up of a lovely bunch of people. If you find that it isn't working for you, it might not be the group support as a mode of therapy that's the problem, it may just be that particular group. It is worth shopping around for one that works for you and makes you comfortable. 

Best of luck with it.

Rowan

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Chris, good on you.

There are several groups 'the man shed' plus BB are trying to get volunteers, and Christopher, will elaborate on this, or Bluevoices are also needing people.

I don't know whether you drink alcohol or not but AA is where you could meet others, that is if you want to hear the same stories every week, as my psychologist adviced me to go to them when I was drinking in depression, mind you I wouldn't go back to them, but it might suit you.

There is also a model railway club, which is fascinating, a pigeon club if you want to purchase some pigeons, so you have a variety of different clubs, which ever takes your fancy. Geoff.

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. 

Thanks Geoff, although I do not generally drink these days, I drank my lifetimes share of alcohol when I was younger. I have participated in  a group meeting today which is based on a twelve step program. It was very structured and everyone seemed very welcoming and in to it all. I committed to it at the last moment so I did not have to brood about it too long. There seems to be a few different programs like this around.

Thanks Rowan Milligan for sharing your positive experience. I have another group which is for women only I think later in the week. Probably more specific to my situation. 

It is very challenging to meet a lot of new people. 

peace,

Mulberry.