FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Who else likes gardening?

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone

I hope you're staying well today.

Who else likes gardening? I would love to connect with people here who are happy to share their gardening adventures.

For me I know that gardening helped heal my soul during tough times. I hope it will again.
Then with other things going on, it became a jungle.
I'm part way into rediscovering it again and doing A LOT of hard yakka atm, when I am motivated.

I have new dreams and ideas to put into the many bare places, as I remove thickets of lantana etc. This will all be on a tight budget and I'm ok with that.

I want to create a peaceful place where I can be.
I would like to grow food again (tell 'er she's dreamin' atm lol).
I would like to re-establish my worm farms and compost heaps.
Autumn is such a beautiful time of the year in the garden.

I'm 'alone' in my gardening journey and would love to share and hear about other's gardening antics. Hopefully we can troubleshoot any issues in our gardens and talk about any healing we're feeling too. There's a lot of knowledge we can share. I hope this thread can brighten your day!

Love Ecomama

Please

977 Replies 977

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey BB Garden lovers, 

How's your plant life growing in your part of Oz? 

Mine is great, then ughhh. 
I gathered my bravery to venture into parts of my garden I was avoiding. I didn't want to see the destruction from the flooding but today I decided to do just that. 

Banana forest first. 

Yah. Not good. I only had my secateurs, garden gloves & a lighter. Cut off lots of dead leaves, some are 5ft long lol. Then piled them up & burnt them. 
I had to climb up the huge Turkey mound to get some! Lol my boots were sinking in the soil. This took 3 hours.

Then I could see some bananas pushing against the old fence. That's a chore to do with a saw! 
Not this weekend. Has to be soon tho. 

The LEMONS were all around like snow on the ground! The Sulphur Crested Cockies are enjoying the fruit but only take a few bites, then they lose hold of the lemon, so they get a new one lol. Why not! 
I raked all the lemons into the holes and dibbets in the eroded soil, covered it with ashes and soil to even it up somewhat. I can see now there are tons of lemons on the ground again.
Oh well a work in progress lol.
At least the Cockies have SOME THING to eat. 

I was happy to see our new Builder neighbour put in a HUGE pipe in the drain across the street. 
Bless that man! Hopefully this will help divert the flood waters away from our property. 

Would love to hear of your garden adventures! 

Love EM

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi EM, how are you feeling today? Hope you’re feeling better very soon!!

I’m still technically married but my husband has transitioned to being female. Our marriage hasn’t survived. There’s so much more to it and I probably should talk about it on another thread - or start my own... tried so many times to start one but I can’t even think of a title for the thread!

Had a walk outside today to see what’s happening in the garden and have realised I have a lot of plants in pots that really need to go into the ground. Some already have roots growing through the bottom of the pot and into the ground. Whoops!

It’s so lovely to have you here again EM!

Happy gardening all!

LL

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Lilly Pilly! It's so nice to be in contact with you again. Massive HUGS! 

No shame to have roots growing through your potted plants lol, we make good company there! 
Shows we can keep them ALIVE which is a plus. 

Yes, heavens about your H and your marriage. 
I couldn't either, it's no statement about you. 
You married a MAN, nuff said. 

But really not enough said AT ALL. You can talk about anything you want to on this thread. 
I know you'd get more specific support and LOVE if you started a thread on this topic. 
We can brainstorm a few Titles if you like? 
Mine would involve sanctioned words lol, apparently that's my "Moral Superiority Complex" shining through (says a YT Psychologist who I've disagreed with on more than one occasion!) but it's not really "superiority" IMHO. 
It's more a feeling of betrayal for me, for you. 
Hugs. 

YOU ARE entitled to feel however you do feel. I doubt there's a "Rule Book" on this subject at all! 

How about "Sadness about my husband who is no longer my husband"... that's pretty gentle?

Love you lots Lilly, hugs for you and your girls from Aunty EM (just like in the Wiffawoff! The Wizard of Oz in my youngest daughter's words when she was little), 
Love EM

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you EM xx I very much appreciate your kindness.

Sorry I take so long to reply!
I like your thread title suggestion 🙂

Lately I think what’s been getting to me about my situation is the feeling of having to ‘start all over again’. And the loneliness. I guess this would be a common theme amongst people going through divorce for whatever reason. 
I may have found a good counsellor this week (my previous one moved to another city). 
Hope the weekend brings you some happy gardening to enjoy xx

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dearest Lilly, hugs. 

I like your thread title better than all of mine. 

Having to "start over" after divorce can be so difficult. 
I've been divorced too many times... perhaps better said is I married the wrong person too many times?

I saw it more as a continuation of my life... without the other person. There have been major massive hurdles because of the marriage (each time) and a huge sense of loss, not just for the H but for his whole family some times, especially my first Hs family. 

Moving on with the weight of responsibility of children, huge. It's like I felt unqualified to raise the children on my own. It shows now with hindsight, thankfully, this wasn't the case. 

I think we need your thread. 
I know you don't have much time, but I DO know there are so many of us going through so much of what you're going through. 

Gardening? What is that lol.. my life is so busy atm... now a horrid neighbour moved in about 10 days ago and he's made himself KNOWN all right. I've already complained about him to the Real Estate Agency he leases through. Something I've never done before. So he makes me uncomfortable in my own back yard - literally. 

Still... I visit the chickens daily at least. 

Thinking of you Lilly, never any need for apologising about "late replies", 
Love EM

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Good day BB Gardeners! 

SPRING! What a beautiful time of the year to see all the wildlife excitedly enjoying the blossoms on the trees. 
It's been a long cold Winter for sure lol. 

What's everyone up to with their green spaces? 

I'm still doing maintenance lol. 
Yesterday I cut the jasmine from the neighbours OFF the broken fence and tore out some weeds along there too. 
I also cut back my withered passionfruit vine. Have no idea what killed it but it's gone now. 
Green Bin night, it's FULL, just the way I like it lol! 

Thinking of removing a whole lot of metal from the garden and taking it to the metal recyclers on my next Leave time from work. I'll probably get 50 cents for it all lol but it'll be GONE, recycled and not cost me Tip fees. 

I literally haven't been to the tip in over 20y. 

It'd probably be "easier" (if I had a trailer) but I'm too green and way too frugal lol. 

I have 3 empty green bottles all nice and clean on my windowsill, just waiting for some cuttings to go in there. 
Sweet to have things growing there where I can see them every day. 

Hope everyone's doing well! 
Love EMxxxx

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello BB Gardeners, what's happening in your green spaces lately? 

We had a Working Bee on the weekend. It was funny showing the kids how to use the electric lawn mower lol. 

Found QUITE a few darned lantana seedlings popping up drat 'em! 
I have to get my saws out and cut down some Tobacco Trees that have grown unbeknownst to me until the weekend. 

I cleared a bed in the garden because our dear passionfruit vine had died. It had a big steel reinforcement mesh across it to stop the Turkeys getting in there. 
Now it's BARE. So strange lol. 
I thought perhaps I could plant some seeds and put the reo back over it? 

Sweet Native Violets have spread over the paths in the Potager Garden. I can barely believe I'll have to whipper snip them off.... feels like sacrilege ugh. But they make the path slippery, so they've gotta go, sadly. 

I'd love to hear about the plants you have growing if you're happy to share? 
Love EMxxxx

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey BB Gardeners, anyone is welcome to share on this thread... just saying lol.

The native violets got whipper snipped, sadly lol. 
I brought my green bin up from WAY down the back and began to fill it more with the front garden refuse. 
I look forward to green bin night lol! THAT'S how boring my life is lol, making fun out of the mundane. Suits my life atm. 

My LOVELY neighbour in front of us, left a BIG bag of Hippie Plants I call them. Hippiastrums I think they're called. Long strappy leaves with BRILLIANT bright red flowers - one of Alexa's faves. 
I potted them up before Winter and was worried they'd died but this plant has awesome resilience and they're bouncing back YAY! 

I found a stack of seed packets last night in the hallway cupboard lol - I knew my intentions then. 
I took some for the back yard new vege bed. I'll find some more to add. 
This bed can be seen from almost all angles of the house (over the balcony) and garden, so I'd like it to look spectacular. 

Brush Turkeys would like another look entirely lol. 

I'll do my best. The earth is SO fertile in there, huge fat worms and rich, black soil. 
Perfect for herbs and veg. 
I have zucchini seeds I think, so they can grow up a trellis or 2. I have 2 fancy French designed trellises I can use. Flowers around to attract the insects to foster cross pollination. Gerberas and any others I can find, why not! 

Hope you're enjoying the green spaces around you. 
Love EMxxxx