FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Who else likes gardening?

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone

I hope you're staying well today.

Who else likes gardening? I would love to connect with people here who are happy to share their gardening adventures.

For me I know that gardening helped heal my soul during tough times. I hope it will again.
Then with other things going on, it became a jungle.
I'm part way into rediscovering it again and doing A LOT of hard yakka atm, when I am motivated.

I have new dreams and ideas to put into the many bare places, as I remove thickets of lantana etc. This will all be on a tight budget and I'm ok with that.

I want to create a peaceful place where I can be.
I would like to grow food again (tell 'er she's dreamin' atm lol).
I would like to re-establish my worm farms and compost heaps.
Autumn is such a beautiful time of the year in the garden.

I'm 'alone' in my gardening journey and would love to share and hear about other's gardening antics. Hopefully we can troubleshoot any issues in our gardens and talk about any healing we're feeling too. There's a lot of knowledge we can share. I hope this thread can brighten your day!

Love Ecomama

Please

977 Replies 977

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Em you must try a rose so easy to grow well they are for me and some of the most beautiful flowers with such a huge variety of colours.
I am just listening at all the amazing birds outside my bedroom window on my garden all seem happy this morning.
Happy gardening,
Mark.

Gambit87
Community Member

Hey Everyone!

Great rose mark!!!

I uploaded a pic of the pink roses I have - Hopefully it gets approved haha. They are beautiful.

They seem to be going well, I have to repot a few of them but they should be ok for now.

The only thing Im a little concerned with is the amount of sunlight they are getting. I live in a ground floor apartment with 2 little patio areas and they only get about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight per day. I'm pretty confident they should be ok. I am very happy with them!

Im growing cherry tomatoes too! I picked my first ripe one last night!

theres something very fulfilling about watching things grow?

Jstar49
Community Member

Hello you beautiful people!

Oh the sun is shining and my heart is crying- it doesn't seem right. I should have been crying while it was raining!

Em, my daughter hasn't acknowledged me...yet...but she did talk to T about her wedding, and said she'll organise something with nan (my mum) to get her there. So, well, it doesn't look hopeful really that I'll be seeing my eldest get married. And hence my breaking heart. But I will not give up! I'm not sure, but maybe my letter (and T's bday card) had something to do with her organising a catch up with T. Thing is, it could be next week and no one in my family would tell me.

Oh the antics of chooks! I might go and visit them Watching them busy around is so good for my soul.

I haven't worked for awhile, and am hopelessly unprofessional/(creative and messy) at the best of times, so have decided on a full frontal approach when I go job hunting in the new year. Can't quite face it yet- it's been a big year! Having no experience in the field makes it difficult so I'll need to be extra determined and resilient. I'm really super nervous actually. Yikes!

LOVING the sound of the arts and craft circle! I shall hunt for it later. Good on you!

Mark do you find that roses need lots of light? I have mine in the only full sun on our block, and it thrives. I'd love to move it and replace with screening natives, but I want to keep it as it's got such a lovely smell. Having it near where I sit would be lovely. At the moment I pass it on my way in and out, so that's pretty good.

Oregano is really resilient, I really must try planting it somewhere else. If it's not too late! I didn't know they didn't like too much sun- I guess mine is a bit shaded in the afternoon. Not much tho.
Em, that is so sad about your machines. He is lucky to be alive by the sounds of it. What a jerk! He should be locked up. Cruelty to ppl, as well as useful objects. I'm guessing he was cruel to animals also 🤬 More on your "sewing thread' lol!

I made a wreath for our front door with vines I cut in the local bush, and gumnuts a friend collected, and beautiful gumleaves and red leucadrendron- which are an african native but are so at home here they're often regarded as Aussie. I'm quite impressed with how it turned out, and it smells fabulous when walking past.

Happy Wednesday everyone.

J*

Jstar49
Community Member

Hey Gambit- Oh your post reminded me of my time in the city in an apartment! So fulfilling to have growing things in a concrete jungle.

Our fave thing to do after a big nite was to cruise around the nursery. I still love that experience. So calming and joyful, and there's always something to buy within the budget. cool and refreshing too, mostly. All that water being sprayed about.

I wonder if you can sometimes take your roses out with you in the sun! I had a mental pic of you sitting on a park bench, while you both get a daily hit of Vit D lol! I'll be interested in what Mark says about sun and roses.

So happy for you and your lucky plants!

J*

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Jstar and Gambit roses need at least 6 hours of sunlight a day.I have some that have full sun all day and some only get sunlight.They are all doing well.I think they will be ok if they are not and a really shady spot .Then they can be prone to pest and diseases like black spot and aphids .They love manure and organic material in the soil with good drainage .
I must go and cook a roast duck and vegies for my kids Christmas dinner today.
Happy gardening,
Mark.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I am wondering what gardening presents everyone is going to get.I already got some dwarf bean seeds which is great as I need a legume crop in my empty bed to fix nitrogen in the soil.I also got a cute little pot
Happy gardening,
Mark.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Matchy69 said:Hi Em you must try a rose so easy to grow well they are for me and some of the most beautiful flowers with such a huge variety of colours.
I am just listening at all the amazing birds outside my bedroom window on my garden all seem happy this morning.
Happy gardening,
Mark.

Awww that sound is wonderful!

I'm enjoying the sounds of Summer here, cicadas in the bush nearby and frogs in my back garden!

I was saw some large birds swooping in my back yard late at night over a few nights and I'm not sure if they're eagles or hawks.
BUT they seemed to be catching mice or rats across the different neighbour's properties.

I was thinking about how maybe you could attract predator birds including kookaburras to your garden to CATCH those mice?

Lol... hope something natural works for you soon!

EMxxxx

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Gambit! OH YES! There is most DEFINITELY healing in watching things grow!

YOU BEAUTY! Don't you just LOVE seeing those gorgeous leaves sprout up and call to papa?
Lol or mama, whatever the case may be. 😂

I know 100% for sure that happening upon my gardening exploits / adventures healed my depression. The little d (I prefer not to give it much notoriety lol) tries to flood in every now and again but I've got my backpack of strategies to push it away now.

It absolutely includes turning to my plants, nature, my garden, the ocean, the sand, the earth.

Becoming "one" with nature and being in tune with the seasons is a rhythmic process that brings it's own health benefits.

So happy you're enjoying this journey and SHARING your joys with us!

EMxxxx

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey J*

Remember the Serenity Prayer.

I often run myself ragged doing my best THEN bundle it up and give it to God.

There seems to have been progress somewhat with Daughter #2 being invited.... I'm very happy they were able to have time together.
We can be grateful!

Your wreath sounds AMAZING!
Maybe you can copy and paste that in to the Crafting Circle thread?

You'll be fine in your new career, remember we all suffer from "imposter syndrome" for a while.
But you've done the training, so watch out world!
I ALWAYS find that "dressing for job" helps me with that professional side (armour perhaps) to look the part.

I take the facade off when I get home lol! But it IS part of me, that professional side, so I embrace it also.

Oregano, yeah go for it!
Mine is near the most brutally HOTTEST part of our garden. Reflective heat off a long drive way UGH... cement retaining wall etc etc but the natives are growing over the top of her so she'll be fine.

Love EM

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Mark

Roses aren't happening any time soon in my garden I foresee...

MAYBE one day when I need to remove the huge conifers in my front garden, maybe then there'll be a place for them. And enough sun out the front for them to survive!

I LOVE white flowers like gardenias (and white roses) in the front garden because at twilight when I'm coming home, the white flowers light up and give off a natural guide to the front paths.
They GLOW.
Love that.

It's more of a European, French front courtyard garden. I made a Potager garden there once.

The back yard will be a Balinese styled garden with terraced areas to help me cope better with the slope into my coming years. Roses won't suit Balinese style down there.

I'll mainly be growing perennials like ginger, turmeric and huge leafy plants.

IF I can get a dog that keeps foxes away, then the chooks will return to their shed.
I want to grow any leafy greens and strawberry towers etc in a Permaculture green house next to the chook's shed. That's much later!

And then there's the developing Cabin's garden that tenants should probably maintain (lol tell her she's dreamin'! ) but I'm mostly concerned about installing lots of eco friendly systems in THAT garden, so it's all easier for tenants to manage. LOTS of separate composting systems. Some for Dog poo because I want to allow dogs. Others too.

I'm still dreaming of that time when all things are repaired, rebuilt and set up in the NEW ways I want them.... it's pretty exciting actually lol.

Love EM