FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

When all is lost....what can you do? Be radical?

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

I look back on my disruptive life and wonder ow I survived.  I joined the RAAF at 17 lasted till I was 20. By then I'd owned 20 cars on impulsive buying and the debts that went with them. Then a taxi driver, assembly line worker, cleaner, spare parts sales, prison officer and by 30yo I'd had about 50 jobs and 15 professions. I had no idea I wasnt well. Bipolar type 2, dysthymia anxiety and depression and I'm near certain ADHD had a lot of presence as well.

All of this came to a head in 1996 with a plan for suicide. But I survived it- I turned it around...how? A week later my wife and I separated. I fell into depression while living in a 3 metre caravan but survived....when I purchased a block of land and built my own house. And so the unsuspected routine kept going. Frankly I think two things saved me....a change of direction/interest and consideration for others in my life.

So lets put suicide aside.  You are depression or anxious, up and down mood or family and friends have abandoned you.  Whatever your crisis you are in despair, at the end of your tether and you dont have an answer.  Through default and luck I found the answers to my crisis each and every time it came about. What about you? What can YOU do to slip out of your situation and predicament? To do a u-turn with your life and save it.?

Let's look at what is at your disposal.  Environment- I knew a guy once, a railway worker that was heavily depressed. He lived alone. One day he didnt turn up for work. A fortnight later he rang me and told me he had taken a job as a jackaroo in Queensland.  A year later he rang me to tell me how happy he was. Just one example.  Friends and family- if they are causing you grief then take action. We are talking about your health here. In some cases - survival. Take time out or expel them from your life or somewhere in between. Work- chase another job. Social media- cut out the people you have never met.

I'm saying whatever it takes to allow your mind to be cared for, to rid it of negative forces and situations. I'm not saying it's easy, it isnt. There is a lot of fear out there among people to be radical but I'm suggesting that when there is no other option, that all reasonable options have been exhausted....its time to rethink the basics of your life. The alternative isnt an option, when remaining in your current situation is not healthy.

Perhaps others have more suggestions to avoid falling into the hollow well of hopelessness.

31 Replies 31

Recently I embarked upon a project to get a rotunda built in a park in our town. Our small town doesn't have any shelter. School children and cyclists caught in poor weather have no protection.

After consulting the council I was told to put my proposal to a local body, a committee of sorts that would look at it. That sparked a huge backlash unbeknown to be for some time, in that the committee had plans of their own of where precious funds would be spent on projects they had already in the planning. But none of that was information given to me.

In the end I bypassed the committee and put my proposal direct to a council meeting. The project was approved and the building (albeit smaller) was built however prior to it being built I was subjected to harassment my committee members that used road blocks to delay the building.

At that point I recalled this "be radical" thread and my theory of it. To, when confronted with issues that bog our minds down, to think and do a radical step.

In this case I'd achieved what I set out to do- get the building approved. That I wasn't responsible for not be privy to information the committee withheld from me eg their projects. That I wasn't responsible for poor attitudes.

So, in light of that I decided to withdraw totally from the project (which has been completed now) and smother myself in self appreciation for achieving it. Be civil to the committee members regardless of the mood that simmers in the town and let time heal. Since then, some months ago the issue has drifted away everywhere.

Being radical in action sometimes works well. Don't be afraid of rejecting criticism base don poor communication skills of others. Be confident you are doing what you believe is best and be aware that many, yes many, in the community don't have your interests at heart...

TonyWK

It's been nearly 10 years since I wrote the original post. What to do when you have suicidal thoughts? Worse still what do you do when and if you have a suicidal plan?

The mental health system has come a long way in 10 years. If you have either of the above and have the clarity of mind to seek help (strongly advised) then you will be directed to the mental health care system. They will assess you, often visiting you at your home or suitable place and during that assessment they will provide you with a 24 hours phone number that you can ring at any time to talk and receive the undivided attention you deserve.

Furthermore you will be directed to the therapy you need or psychological or psychiatric services deem appropriate. 

In my case several weeks ago I walked into a medical clinic, simply asked for help in a private room. That was a meltdown, the worst in 27 years since an attempt on my life. That door knock was the very best thing I could have done. Now I have that 24 hour number in my wallet when ever I need it.

Being radical in our actions as the OP suggests is to say- "I'm suicidal, I need to get away from this environment be it work, home, people and so on IN ORDER TO SAVE MY LIFE. Well now there is better help and while any action is better than remaining in an unsafe place, we now have a better system whereby we can seek help.

So, if you believe you are unsafe- be radical compared to your normal actions- enter a medical establishment and ask for help. Believe me- it is the best thing you can do.

TonyWK