FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trouble eating - trigger warning?

a13xx
Community Member

Hi, i’m not sure if i’m allowed to talk about this on here but I was wondering if anyone had any advice. 
I’ve always loved food, im a cook and i love working in the kitchen but I was hospitalised in a refeeding program a while back which I recovered pretty quickly after that. Only recently i’ve found that I can’t eat and I just never get hungry anymore…it’s nothing as emotionally intense as what put me in the hospital previously, I just simply don’t think about food anymore and I feel physically sick when I eat.

I want to love food again and not feel constantly lightheaded and tired..anyone else experience this and know how to get out of it?

Thanks 🙂

1 Reply 1

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey a13xx,

Of course you can talk about this here!  Thank you for sharing with us 😊

Sure- so whenever there is an eating disorder or any sort of major changes to the body, it can impact our appetite.  Our brain struggles to send signals that we are hungry/full.  So while we might be hungry (and definitely need food) there's difficulty in the communication signals.

For me when I've struggled with this, I've had to go really slow- so I eat regularly but only in small portions until it gets a bit easier.

Your GP or a dietician could be really helpful with this.

The Butterfly Foundation (now Butterfly) can also be a great resource, as while they do a lot of work with body image and eating disorders they can support you with this emotionally too.

https://butterfly.org.au/

Hope this helps!

rt