FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

🌱 Diary- 5 Things You Noticed in Nature Today

Guest_1055
Community Member

Can you think of 5 things you noticed or observed in nature today, using all your senses?

I was wondering if this would be a beneficial exercise to help us focus on something else instead of painful emotions, troubled thoughts, over thinking, anxiety feelings and the darkness of that alone place.

As well as to see that there really is beauty all around us....

314 Replies 314

Guest_1055
Community Member
  • I saw the grey clouds moving
  • I felt the ridges on the leaf of "birds of paradise plant"
  • I smelt the lavender flower
  • I heard the wind blowing
  • I saw a weed growing through the crack in the pavement

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Shelle Belle and thank you for this useful mindfulness exercise.

Today is cold and windy so there is no birdsong to be heard. Apart from a gusty blizzard rushing through the bush, it is oddly silent.

Everything has been wet for a while so there's a pervading, organic, musty smell of decaying dead leaves and fallen bark.

I'm surrounded by low clouds so can no longer see the surrounding mountains. Everything is seen as through a veil of mist, blurred, mysterious.

My fingers are so stiff with cold and numb...that I can barely feel the keyboard.

Thank goodness for the hot coffee warming up my taste buds !

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Alright, I must explain...my back door is always open so Nature is inside the shack too, including the cold dampness, the draught... and the inevitable little fly catcher bird fluffed up among the paperwork.

Good idea Shell. I can give this a go, as I have been fairly busy this morning - chopping firewood, visiting my old lady friend in the nursing home, hemming a new pair of jeans hubby needed to buy for his trip tomorrow. So I should be able to come up with something from all 5 senses. Now ...... let me think on it. Yes .....

• I saw 3 large white ibis wading around the bottom of our block. They have their big beaks poking around for bugs and grubs. They have in fact just walked up almost to the bottom of our stairs to the deck. Very brave.
  • I felt the warmth in the frail hands and cheek of my friend Shirley whom I gave a big hug to when I visited her today in the Nursing Home.
  • I smelt the faint woody aroma of freshly split firewood as I loaded it into the wheelbarrow.
  • I heard the wind roaring through the tall gum trees at the bottom of our block. I sometimes hear that even if it doesnt seem windy at ground level. The trees are very tall, and seem to really catch the wind.
  • I tasted and savoured the coconut and chocolate flavours from the lamington I just finished for my afternoon tea. Leftovers from election day stall purchase.

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What a lovely thread idea Shelley anne. Thank you so much.

- I smelt the aroma of fresh bread when I walked past the bakery at lunchtime

- I tasted the rich creamy flavours from a Milky Bar I treated myself to

- I felt the lightness of the water when I went for a swim this morning

- I saw a beautiful husky on the back of a ute that drove past

- I heard the gentle hum of the dishwasher cycle as I put it on

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Another thought I had too, this thread is another opportunity to be grateful for our senses. I was just thinking myself as I wrote my own list how much I take for granted being able to see, hear, smell, taste and feel.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

1. I observed bird poo on my car.

2. I caught sight of a snow capped mountain on the horizon.

3. I felt the sensation of mud all over when I tripped, it didn't taste too bad, but was a little gritty.

4. I watched a single cloud trek across the cornflower blue sky.

5. I was comforted by the warm soft smoke of burning gum leaves.

topsy_
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

A lovely thoughtful idea. Examining things that would have passed by me unnoticed.

I saw the drab dreary day - rain & fog jostling for prominence through the day.

I felt the wind, rain, bitter cold & an overheated office.

I smelt a nearby wood fire.

I tasted a cooked meal made by my husband with love.

I hear the heater clicking on & off & the dishwasher cleaning our dinner plates.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

1. I felt the ice cold wind blowing from the snow fields.

2. I smelt must of the leaves rotting in the garden bed.

3. I saw a pigeon sitting on a electric cable high above the street.

4. I heard a car crash.

5. I tasted the earthy tones of french lentils.