FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tips to do more days at work?

Loligiggles
Community Member

Hi!

I got a job with flexible hours but I'm struggling to maintain even 1 day a week, I would like to work a full work week (4-5 days) so does anyone have any tips? Getting lunch at a nearby cafe and taking painkillers aren't making it anymore manageable. 

5 Replies 5

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

Thank you for coming to the forums, I am sorry you are struggling. May I ask why you are struggling to maintain 1 day a week? This might influence my answer. For me, I maintain my 6-day work week by thinking about the money I will have afterwards. What is it that you do for work? An office job or a physical job?

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx

Physical job as a general manual laborer.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Lolligiggles,

I am of retirement age and started volunteer work a few years ago, one day a week…it was at the time a requirement for job seeker….I went of job seeker after a few months of first volunteering onto DSP, and didn’t need to volunteer anymore….but I continued because it got me out of the house and into society…..then early last year not sure when..I volunteered another day, that went on for over a year and it was only 3 weeks ago I volunteered another day……It’s been a very hard thing for me to do….physically and mentally I’m tired, but I do feel better about myself because I’m not sitting around at home getting deeper into depression…..

I think, maybe start doing an extra day or hours when you’re feeling up to it, then when you feel comfortable keep adding an extra day or hours onto your shift…..Instead of going straight from one day to 4 or 5 days….

This could be something that you could talk to your supervisors or managers about…letting them know that your wanting to work more days but your unsure on how you would go….

Thinking of you Dear Lolligiggles, with kind thoughts and care..

Grandy..

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Right. Grandy has offered some great suggestions, slowly upping your days may be better than jumping straight to 4-5 - need to pace yourself! 

Hi

I unfortunately had to leave the job as they were demanding a minimum of 4 days and trying to force myself to do a full week made my health worse. It alleviated some of pain for a short time but it's come back with a vengance. 

I think from this experience that I would only be able to manage 1-2 days a week, but I'll give a few more trial runs of a full work week elsewhere if I ever get a job again.