FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Hi Sara and thankyou for such a great post 🙂

Sara Mentioned " Has anyone driven a car a few blocks without registering they've been driving? That's mindlessness as opposed to mindfulness!!!"

Brilliant stuff Sara.....keep it coming

Best. Paul x

Hi Sara,

Thank you. I think it's possible that you have touched on something very important. Yes, if I were to be any more grounded, I would probably start sinking into the ground. I know you- and others- swear by mindfulness, and that's great if it helps you guys. Keep it up if that's the case. But I'm just not 100% sure if it's for me, that's all.

Dottie x

Hey Dottie....I am still trying to get my head around it as well. Im still using my own techniques that work until I really understand what 'it' is!

Paul

Hey Dottie and Paul, and shout-out to all reading/contributing;

I agree with you Dottie, mindfulness didn't work for me either when I was depressed, but music did! Uplifting stuff I mean, the same with TV or movies. Light classical or jazz without words took me to my happy place more than not. I figure this is a 'hybrid' of mindfulness for depression or apathy.

Sometimes I have a chat with the Universe while laying in bed. My words are quiet, genuine and humble; an instant 'feeling' of calm comes over me, but not just any calm. I feel 'balanced' and in the moment...me and God goin' at it. I have no secrets from Him, no guilt, lies or remorse, just honesty. I don't have to hide, avoid, or make myself bigger or smaller to feel accepted or worthy.

Experimenting; trial and error is what it takes. When I finally realised there was a 'cause' for my anxiety a few hrs prior, the penny dropped. From then on, I'd calm my mind with focus and deep breathing to scan back over time and identify what triggered me. The relief was nearly always 'instant'!

After doing this for a while, themes and patterns began to emerge in my behaviour and beliefs. The more I learned to quieten my mind, the better I felt and was able to assess 'me' better as well. It took time, but eventually peace came...

Paul; I know you have an issue with my 'microscope', but without it, I wouldn't be the person I am today. Yes, it hindered me in the beginning when I didn't know how to use it, but now I've come to appreciate this gift I have and use it for good instead of evil. Ha ha...

Hope this all makes sense...

Sara x

The_Abyss
Community Member

Just hearing the word "mindfulness" automatically puts my back up. It has become such a catch-cry, a save-all, the answer to everything and it's total BS! I have had it shoved down my throat for years! When my psych suggested today that I should try it, I almost shoved the words straight back down his throat!

Quick off the mark, he changed strategies. "I want you to spend 15 minutes a day in the present". OK, that I can relate to rather than this airy-fairy mindfulness stuff. He explained further...."watch a sunset, stare at the waves, engage in a real conversation, read a book, take a stroll in the garden..." He would like me to just stop. Stop thinking ahead. Stop analysing. Get off from the merry-go-round. Just enjoy the moment.

Is it as good as mindfulness? Who knows, but it's certainly a much more acceptable method to my combative psyche!

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

But, but, but, TA...what your therapist asked you to do IS mindfulness practice. Clever of him to realize it was the word that bothered you, not its meaning.

It makes me wonder what on earth you thought mindfulness is all about. The best way it can be described is being in the moment. It is exactly what your psych advised you to try.

And yes...enjoy.

You are correct Star - same wolf, different outfit!

Hi TA, thanks for helping me to laugh today. Your last post did it. Mean no offence though.

Shell xx

Hey Dottie,

I have the impression that you may do this mindfulness naturally. ie somewhere you wrote that you observe the way people talk, perhaps there tone, or pitch of their voice?? Was it in a cafe or something. Anyway it was something I picked up about you.

Anyway you may be doing it already without realising that you are because your personality naturally does it.

Shell xx

Check out fidget cubes and fidget spinners. I have a few on order. Meant to be great for mindfulness.