FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to find meaning in life?

LWW
Community Member

Hey guys, just recently moved to Australia this year, I'm currently in Year 12 and have been feeling monotonous recently, like everyday is more like a routine than having a purpose. I can't seem to find joy in what I do recently and with my friends, I find that I have to put on a mask to pretend that everything is fine and dandy. I can't share my thoughts and feelings with them because I know that they are either not of maturity yet to handle these kind of things or they just don't want to handle emotions in general. I've tried to find some meaning by doing other things like hanging out with them, drawing or going to the gym but there's still an emptiness lingering. Has anyone been there before? Would appreciate some advice on this. Cheers.

2 Replies 2

x__
Community Member

hello & welcome

to answer the title question: we find meaning in life by doing things that add value to our lives, and for most people that involves adding value to others lives as well

the empty feeling is telling you that a need of yours is not being met, and the likely culprit is the lack of a close relationship of some sort

chasing a relationship for its own sake is a recipe for disaster though

here's the lesson I wish I was taught many years ago: spend most of your time doing things that bring joy to others, and good things will follow

BlueLily
Community Member

Hello,

Welcome to Australia and welcome to the forum!

It's tough migrating to a new country, specially at your age where you lose your friends and all the things that made you feel home. So it's natural what you are going through as you are still finding your footing.

It's great that you are still keeping yourself occupied with drawing and gym etc. I remember when I migrated to Australia by myself, it was challenging at first to find friends that I was able to truely connect with. But over time I found some great friends. So it will take some time, but don't lose hope. Meanwhile, stay connected with your friends from back home if that's a possibility. My childhood friends helped me so much emotionally back then, that they are good friends with me to this date. 

When I was going through monotonous feelings, I usually try to explore new sports, hobbies or meetup groups. Then not only I find a purpose but also I end up finding great new friends.

Good luck with your journey in Australia!