FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

GUILT the tormentor

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Guilt in my opinion originates from a factor in our childhood. I dont think its hereditary but if our homelife includes generations of narcissistic behaviour then it could feel like its passed down.

I know its not passed down because although I am a child of a narcissistic mother (and a nurturing one) I stopped the flow on to my children by refusing the trend of becoming a controlling parent. If hereditary I couldnt have succeeded. So why did I end up suffering guilty intrusive thoughts?

As my father worked 14 hour days 6 days a week, our mother was our prime parent. She didnt work. Outsiders never knew. Its what went on behind closed doors that scarred us forever.

As a young child, there is a huge difference between control and guidance. As teenagers there is a gap between a parent with recommendations and domination. As we arrive in our 20's we cant deal with our bossy parent any longer and fight back against what is by now manipulation and a gang mentality...even emotional blackmail.

The narcissistic parent is clever. They'll use any means at their disposal to control. In my case turning our loving father and relatives against us. They can be possessive of your friends and even try to coerce you to choose a partner preferring one that can be "moulded" into their deputy...more control.

If you've read this far you might also be a victim. What can you do?

Im 61yo. Right up till 54yo I tried everything but nothing worked. My sister and I broke off all contact, put "return to sender" on letters from our mother and as she had ruined my first wedding in 1985, got a court order so she couldnt ruin my second wedding (her threat)

It is highly unlikely a relationship with a narcissist of little contact will work as the control they lust for isnt with them, its with you. How dare you control your own life!

So guilt forms in ways like being told- they are never wrong, you are at fault, you make poor choices, if you do that I'll do this, if you do that I'll ruin your life, etc

Add to that some anxiety if the narcissistic parent is a "yeller". The expectations are too great as to your immature capacity to "be a good boy". You are their robot.

I attended a psychologist. I'll never forget his words at the last session "do you think you need her permission to live without fear?"

That was the light that sparked me realising her hold was a firm grip.

Demand to yourself the basic right to mental freedom. Walk away, get help to repair the guilt wound ..into a scar.

Tony WK

45 Replies 45

Yeah , l think so wk, although l don't feel it in a defense way more just a kind of,.

[ hey, to myself , don't waste your damn time save it for someone who cares] type thing. Works wonders for me haha because sadly the average person or even family member , just don't deserve it .

Its been a few years but this thread popped into my mind today.

See, a lady in a 4WD car didn't give way to us in our small country town and nearly crashed into us. She pulled over and was crying so much I had to see if she was ok. She apologise a dozen times. All went ok.

At the supermarket we bumped into her. She continued to apologize...her guilt was clear. I had to stop her and reassure her that all was ok and there was no need to feel guilty. Then she said

"I'm so useless just as my father always told me"

And that my friends...told me all about her life.

We left her company knowing we'll meet again in our town and talk some more.
TonyWK

This example shows how important it is not to judge. We all make mistakes. But also how important it is to do our bit to encourage people who are feeling guilty. I'm sure your words helped

For sure.

My partner is always thanking me for things l don't even know what half the time and it dosn't matter what to me l just adore that heart of hers , it's not the thanking that matters to me just that it's so important to her that she wants too, that's means more than any words to me.

Hi all

Guilt! An evil thing. My experiences of guilt increased in my 20's. I'd joined the RAAF and I'd get weekly letters from my mother.

One example was when my older brother had a head on accident in a mini. He was seriously hurt. Her letter described the turmoil and at the end "of course had feel better if his brother was here". I was 1500kms away.

Emotional blackmail was her specialty. "If you don't break off that relationship with that Catholic girl in going to pack my bags and go off on a holiday"... to which I replied "can I help you pack" (I was 27yo!)

I haven't seen my mother for 10 years. I don't intend to. Discarding her is like being released from 54 years in jail, a relationship where calm was never present, manipulation as often as meals and revenge a dish served at will.

But guilt was the symptom that took longest to erase. I am guilt free now at 64yo, but it took forever.

TonyWK

Thank you WK . You have just opened my eyes to another part of my life I could not work out . Self destruction in everything then the guilt . Being told you are a failure and worthless from earliest memory and not somehow being able to build a bridge and get over it always seemed illogical . I think I get it now . Thanks again .

Peace love and happiness to all , Jo

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
That's wonderful Jo

Can I ask you if it was one parent or both, perhaps another adult that dominated you.

No pressure, I just have interest in these things

TonyWK

Oddly in my family - which is huge , only one sister and myself ever seem to feel any guilt about anything.

l've been amazed at the others over the yrs , things l'd been riddled with guilt about hadn't even crossed their mind . l remember a few yrs back l told one l'd felt really guilty for yrs over something and she says oh God , what , why would you feel guilty . We''l l'd been tortured with guilt actually but ha , so much for that..

Ps , sorry jo, no child should ever have to grow up with that.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

I see guilt as being something who came from many generations of people who felt guilty. My parents didn’t make me but I saw my mother feel guilty she had not been born a boy as she was youngest of three girls, my father felt guilty his mother was sad when he was engaged at age 27 and that is a start.

so they didn’t make me feel guilty I just did because everyone else did.

I broke the cycle as my son told me ,one day , “ that guilt does not work on me,”

Random and Quirky

Perhaps like one child in a family of 4 children has red hair, one has guilt?

Perhaps the younger siblings are more prone to guilt as they are pressurized differently by a parent? Or the older kids have more expectations placed on them?

Lots of questions here. I do believe guilt is instilled into a child when there is excess criticism and/or lack of praise. That would impair confidence.

TonyWK