FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Finding your inner calm

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone,

This thread is about finding your inner calm, its something I've worked on for the past four and a half years.

"One of the best lessons in life is how to master how to remain calm"

Mastering how to remain calm takes inner work but once you can master it your inner would becomes very peaceful.

Its something that needs to be tackled internally, sometimes we 'react' to certain things instead of responding.

We all have the choice of how we will respond to something it just takes practice.

If something is going to cause you to lash out and react in a negative way, before you do this you need ask yourself is it really worth it?

If you can just remain calm in this instance your inner world will thank you for it, our minds tend to race forward with reactions but if you can just allow the mind to do this and "watch it" but let your body and internal self to stay deep seated in "watching" and not responding you will see how your inner calm can start to take place.

We all have a inner breath, learn to follow this breath and use it as an anchor and a grounding tool.

If we can learn to control our breathing everything becomes more calmer and we have more clarity in the moment.

Everything takes practice but if this is something that will eventually bring you more inner peace then its practice well spent.. life is a journey and if we can learn how to master how to remain calm in every situation we win.

Practice and perseverance will always get you over the line.

37 Replies 37

MauriceZ
Community Member
Negative thoughts can be the source of concern. Even thinking about trying to get rid of any problems can provoke the development of nervousness. In such thoughts it is very easy to lose orientation in life and your own "I".

Of course, without reasoning about how to move on and get out of a difficult situation, it is impossible to solve problems. 

Every thought in life can be given a place, but I feel preference can always be given to the positive. 

Fill your mind with positive thoughts, praise yourself mentally, tune in to the good and life can become easier.

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Petal22,

As always, beautiful words.

I love the idea of having an inner breath that we can use as a grounding tool. That's really meaningful, and so true. Taking a deep breath in and removing yourself from a situation can definitely affect the way you respond. I've been quite stressed over the past few weeks, so this advice is so refreshing to me.

SB

Hi MauriceZaiss,

Well come to our forums and thank you for your post.

I agree with what you have said, negative thoughts can cause nervousness and negative emotions.

I also think that it is really important to tune into the positive because it creates positive emotions and allows our internal world to flow more easily and gives us more inner calm.

I have a lived experience of server anxiety OCD while I was going through this condition I was always on edge ... (the opposite to calm).

BUT during my recovery I learned that the part of the reason that I always felt this way was because I saw everything in my world in a negative way.

I chose from day one of this realisation that I would do everything in my power to turn my mindset around from negative to positive ( it took alot of practice) but by doing this my internal world changed, my world began to feel like more of blessing to me and I had a real shift inside myself I found that by thinking more positively that my inner world became more calmer and at peace.. "If you love life" then "life will love you back".

Hi sbella02,

Thank you and I'm sorry that you have been feeling stressed lately.

Using your breath as a grounding tool is very calming I hope that you find it useful.

Sometimes when I meditate I just simply close my eyes and follow my breath, when I find myself wondering away from my breathe I simply just bring my mind back to my breath.

I use this tool also when I feel stressed or when I find my mind racing, it always brings calm back to internal world and slows everything down.

I find that because I practice this alot my days are calmer and I have alot of clarity because I am in a state of calm.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Just another part to finding your inner calm:

Sometimes we tend to "judge" others in a negative way, this happens automatically sometimes.

We can actually begin to notice when we are doing this, we can choose to change the dialog to something more positive or we can simply redirect or attention onto something in the present moment.

I have found that when we judge in a negative way from an internal point of view our emotions follow in a negative way.

We can choose to "observe" rather than judge, maybe you could give it a try and see if you can feel the difference from an internal perspective.

To create an inner calm we need to choose a pathway that creates internal calm.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Just another add on to this thread of finding your inner calm.

Some times our minds start racing from the moment we wake up..... it starts repeating all of the things that we need to do for the day it can feel tiring just having these things on our minds.

To get your day off to a peaceful start dedicate the first 15min to half an hour to yourself.

You could choose to meditate in this time or even do dome exercise or practice gratefulness or deep slow breathing.

This way you are on the front foot to a calmer day from within.

When the mind does start to race forward with all of the tasks you need to do, try to be conscious of this and just calmly redirect your attention to the present moment and the task on hand.

Remember we can only do one thing at a time, sometimes our minds need to take a back seat and you can allow your mind to do this while still remaining calmly in the present moment.

The trick is to remain in the present moment and allow yourself to be there.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Anger is a emotion that we all have felt and its something that arises within us.

Its something that we can choose to 'react to' or its something we can choose to just " let pass" to create and inner calm, the "choice" is yours.

Anger Mantra

Breathing in, I know

the anger is here.

Breathing out, I know that the anger is not me.

Breathing in, I know that anger is unpleasant.

Breathing out, I know the feeling will pass.

Breathing in, I am calm.

Breathing out, I am strong

Enough to take care of this anger.

Thich Nhat Hanh

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Petal22,

The Anger Mantra you've shared is really valuable, I'm saving it for when I need it.

I also love the idea of starting your day with 15-30 minutes just to be with yourself and get into the day on the right foot. I made it one of my new year's resolutions for this year to meditate for 15 minutes every day, but haven't necessarily gotten around to it. Your post has reminded me to do so 🙂

Thanks sbella02 happy to help 🙂