FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Finally some positive news!

MissJ94
Community Member

I officially have a job!

Got the call today that the final checks have been completed and ill be starting on Monday!

Applied for this job over 6 weeks ago and its been a long wait but finally i feel like my life is getting back on track, that im being lead in the right direction to finally being happy and stable again.

I havent worked in 24 weeks now after i resigned from my previous position as a registered nurse due to harassment, stalking and bullying. Im literally two weeks off being able to take my super out for financial hardship, which im in severely! Still thinking about taking it out to help manage those debts that have piled up..

Im super nervous though!

Its an admin position at a major hospital. Ive never worked in admin but have some skills such as dealing with paperwork, taking phone calls, resolving issues or complaints, knowledgeable with computers etc. So im nervous about what else will be expected, what the environment will be like, who ill be working with or will i be on my own, what if theres something i dont know or not sure about?

So worrying about all that has lead me to worry about things like what im going to wear (smart casual), how im getting there on Monday (was going to drive but my car broke down a week ago and not sure if the battery will last getting down there and back, i need the battery replaced as its almost dead but cant afford it which is one of the things id be repairing if i took my super out but then if i catch the train what if all the trains are out again here in Sydney?), Is this really the right path im taking, what if i dont get along with the people ill be working with, what if i majorly mess up somehow, what if i find it all to be too much.

So although im excited for this new beginning, my head is full of 'what ifs'!

Then i thought maybe i should sign up for a cert 3 in admin that i can do online over 18 months?

I thought it might be a good option to sign up for it tomorrow, if i can, to ease that transition into this new job. But then i thought it might be better to wait a few weeks to see if i like the job? Have no idea!

So many emotions and feeling i almost feel as though i need to start taking anxiety meds!

6 Replies 6

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

congrats! well done to you.

I am sure you will do well. They obviously thought you have the skills needed so to picked you.

And there are no dumb questions! If you get stuck.... ask.

will you let us know how it is going after you start?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello MissJ, also congratulations.

Try not to worry about who you may be working with, it may be no one, because the more you begin to worry the more you may be on edge, just think that you have been employed.

I'm no doctor but if you feel you need to start taking your medication then perhaps do so, but if you can do this job without them, then that's how far you have come and remember everyone is always frightened when starting a new job.

A mechanic may let you pay off the battery if you know them, and no harm in asking.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Geoff. x

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Congratulations girl on the new job! Im sorry to hear that you had to leave your job as a nurse for harassment, stalking and bullying! That is definately not okay and the facility that you worked at should have supported you alot better so you could still continue practising as a nurse. I am a nursing student and have been working in a hospital as a RUSON. Indeed it is quite a toxic environment for staff bullying. Im experiencing myself rude and abrupt behaviours from the other students. Some think they just know it all and believe they have more authority than others. I bring it down to millenials spending too much time on their phones and not knowing how to respect/talk to others. BUT BACK TO YOUR JOB. I am definately sure you will have some on the job training/support, they won't just throw you into the deep end. And they definately must have seen some positive attributes in you when they hired you! so you definately will be fabulous, dont doubt yourself. I understand from your past experiences with work being negative causing some anxiety, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Go into that job and be your amazing self. Have a go because you don't know unless you try. No regrets I say. We always surprise ourselves with what we are capable of. Doing some extra training is a excellent idea, the hospital may also fund this for you too. So in a nut shell, put yourself out there and give it all you have got.

Best of luck with it all. And you have got this!

MissJ94
Community Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies!

My first week went well. Getting the hang of things like checking patients in for their appointments and making appointments etc. Its been pretty fun so far! Working with really nice people and the management team seem to be super supportive and have really helped so much this week to make sure i know what im doing. There were a couple quiet days with only 2-4 doctors in running clinics but then there was today where we had heaps more! Patients coming in from 830am until about 1pm and it was every 15minutes they were coming in, so much paper work and new processes that even the other girl i work with is still learning.

But its been really nice being there so far! Its not constantly busy like it was when i worked as a nurse, you get that down time to just catch up on things which i never really got as a nurse. And the pay is actually decent! About $28 per hour and might be moving up to $31 per hour soon which is literally what i was earning as a registered nurse. So same pay with only a quarter of the stress? Yes please!

Super glad i didnt just not show up on the first day.

Athenry
Community Member

I’m so glad things are turning around for you! Fear of the unknown can be so strong. This sounds like such a good challenge for you, and an environment you can thrive in.
Well done on taking that step in improving your life for you - that takes strength.
best of luck 🙂

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello MisJ, it's always a lovely surprise when going to work, just as long as you take your time and not over exert yourself, but with a pay rise, that's even better.

Take care.

Geoff.