FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Changing habits

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Changing habits can be hard. We get up the same time every day, do the same things the same way. Same old, same old, we become programmed to doing things a certain way, like a robot. Sometimes we need to reassess these daily habits.

I read an article once about how much money we could save if we only bought what we absolutely needed, no more impulsive buys of things we don't need. I always use my debit card to pay for things. I rarely carry cash, just tap or swipe and off i go. Trouble with this is we can lose track of spending until we look at our bank balance. $5 here, $2 there, oh look, thats on sale I'll just get it 'just in case'. I've decided to change this. I have set myself a daily budget (subject to adjustment). From now on my goal is to withdraw money for the week based on my daily budget. I will no longer tap or swipe my card but try and stick to using cash only. My budget includes groceries, petrol and my daily chai and necessities for the kids. If I don't use the allocated amount each day I hang onto it, if i go over it means I have less for the next day. The aim of this is to not live down to the last cent every week and what is left in the account hopefully grow and help pay bills or cover any 'wants' now and then. It makes me conscious of what i am buying and thinking' do i really need this'. It also makes me conscious of what i buy at the supermarket, looking for items on sale and cheaper options. I am one of those people who will see a top on sale for $5 or a bag or shoes for $10 and think 'wow what a bargain,I'll just get it" I have found that these bargains tend to sit in the cupboard, then get moved to the shed when I have a clean out and eventually go to the brotherhood bin because i never used them. I'm an emotional shopper, i buy little things because it makes me feel good. My goal is to change this habit . If i am bored and feel the urge to go shopping I may clean out a cupboard instead or clean up the garden. I have enough of everything i need. I'm hoping this new habit will improve the way i feel as i see I am achieving something and maybe even not going down to the last cent every week which is depressing and causes more emotional spending. I also want to get a container and each day put $1 in it. Just $1. By the end of the year that is $365. I really want to do this. If I can stick to this and I am still struggling then i need to look at what needs to change.

Do you have any habits you want to change?

CMF

10 Replies 10

Sad_Mushroom
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi CMF and all,

When I was young my dad had a big bucket in his wardrobe. Each night before his bath he threw all his loose change (from his pocket) into the bucket. At the end of each year this change went towards our holidays.

Of all the things that I want to change would be the pokies. I don't play very often but when I get fed up with everything and just want to sit and unwind, reboot I guess, I'll sit and drink beer, smoke and play pokies. Some times I'll only spend a few dollars and it will last for hours but other times I'll spend way too much. This began about 15 years ago (when I stopped taking meds) so if I added up the money I'd spent over that time I'd probably cry and hate myself.

SM