FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

37 year old female - just realised she has a drinking problem

B_B_L_S
Community Member

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I’m a 37 year old single mum to one sweet 4 yo old girl. Left an abusive marriage 3 Years ago , and during the domestic abuse ( which lasted over 10 years) I used alcohol as a coping mechanism . Making the decision to leave my husband wasn’t easy especially with a child, however I left because I didn’t want my daughter seeing or receiving the abuse. I have been to psychologists , other forms of natural therapy and I’m feeling much better however I am still using alcohol to get me through the week. At least 4 times a week . I would consider myself high functioning as no one really knows I have an issue. My current partner was the one who alerted me to the fact I hide vodka in my cupboard and secretly drink which is not ideal. I have an appt with GP next week and I really want to get better. I do think my drinking is caused by underlying depression or maybe even something else to do with the abuse I suffered for so long.

Thank you

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello B_B_L_S, can I offer you a warm welcome and sympathise with your situation and appreciate what you have told us.

Using alcohol as a coping mechanism is something that a lot of people do, I was one of these those, although my situation was different to how yours was, I know how hard it must have been for you.

Hiding alcohol or being a 'cupboard drinker' is something you should not be ashamed of, and I say this only for the reason, that you don't have the support you are asking for, your partner/spouse only suddenly criticises you, rather than hold their hand out and say 'let's find someone who can help you, there must be a huge problem that you can't face on your own'.

Whether it's depression or some other type of problem I understand what you are saying and hope you can get back to me, so we can talk because I know what you are saying.

I'm sorry that it's time for me to log off as I start early in the morning but will eagerly wait to hear back from you.

Take care.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Guest_827
Community Member

Acknowledgement

Understanding

Admitting

Learning

Thank you for your post!