FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Day 5 of dry January-quitting marijuana & alcohol

Emm78
Community Member

Hi,

I’m on day 5 of my new life! Been struggling heaps with the emotional tears, insomnia, headaches, nausea, restlessness & frustration of resisting the temptation (as my husband is still smoking, but not in my presence & friends still drinking in front of me).

atm I am unemployed after 2sacking, (1 not my fault)for last 13wks. With no govt help it’s becoming very hard to survive financially & then I have been rejected for every job applied for, I’m struggling to accept my medically 🤬 up body & brain & because I’m trying to be a better human decided to go cold 🦃!

I found night times are the worst as for the past 5yrs my routine was to have a drink and a bong from apx 6pm. Longest I’ve gone is 8 days without a drink and about 2 without dope. Found marijuana.org had some good info & then remembered my friend recommended BB.

The forum helped me survive another night I’m now in bed with a 📖 having cuddles from the 🐕 🐶

Have counselling on Tuesday, so I’ll probably be back on here tomz. Thanks for the vent.

Here’s to clean living!!!! Once all the yukkyness has gone 🥵🤯🤮🤢😄😁😍😂

37 Replies 37

Tess2
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Well done Emm78,

that is a real effort. Giving up both. I am doing dry Jan. I am not a daily drinker , but can enjoy it a bit too much, an escape. Keep posting here, I am very keen to follow you

tess

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Emm, welcome to the forums as well as to Tess, and to go cold turkey for 5 days is a mammoth effort and something you want to do, but for your husband to be smoking will leave tobacco on his breath which is going to be bad, and for friends drinking in front of you is not only going a temptation but annoying.

If you want to stop smoking and drinking is that none of it is in your house, all of it needs to be removed, because if it's around then you could well be urged to break this cooling off period, it's hard enough as it is.

Many people find AA to be good but what it doesn't seem to look at your own circumstances, either physically or mentally, rather than concentrate on the 12 steps plan.

I'd really like to know how you did it for 8 days but I know how hard it is, but I think you are wonderful for trying to stop once again.

People who want to stop the alcohol, as well as smoking, have periods where they do stop but then problems become too much or their situation worsens and start once again, don't be too hard on yourself, and please let me know what you have planned.

I'm going out now but will check later on.

Let's make it day 6.

Geoff.

Emm78
Community Member

Thanks had a restless night but still determined not to let this bet me.

Heres to day 6! 👍

Burdy
Community Member

Hi Emm78 and welcome to the forums.

So glad you have started this thread, I'm keen to join you and tess here and anyone else who is trying dry Jan or further.

I am usually a daily drinker too, only one or two drinks but pretty much daily non the less. I decided back in mid December that I was going to do one year no beer starting January 1st.

So here I am day 6 of 365 and had no idea my drinking was issue until now.

No headaches or nausea or anything but defs the evening craving - my normal routine was to have a drink at the end of the days work. Last night the cravings were particularly strong and I found myself looking for something sweet to eat, I'm a bourbon and coke drinking so guessing I was looking for the sugar fix from the coke or just something to replace the habit? Also hubby had a couple beers in front of me but I felt ok about that.

I'm yet to socialize so that will be a real test.

And a big thumbs up for quitting smoking too, that's great!

Will b checking in on day 7 😁

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Emm, the first week is always the hardest but your doctor can prescribe medication that will take away any urge that will stop you wanting to have a drink.

I have tried it before and it does work, but it's still helpful when it's your usual time to drink to fill your tummy up with a fizzy drink, making it feel full, and if you like have a bite to eat also helps.

Please tell us how you are feeling today and/or tomorrow.

Geoff.

Emm78
Community Member

Hi Burdy, Geoff & all others

the headaches and nausea are from the dope smoking, saw the doctor on sat she said a certain meication was good for stopping the alcohol but then I’m just replacing one drug for another. Which is not what I want to do! Best I can do is have panadol at bed time to help with the restlessness & insomnia (one of main reasons for smoking on first place)

Day 6 was good, had massive urge to drink twice today as Perth had 38 but I resisted and feel so proud of myself 🙌👏🏽... funny thing happened while hubby was in the shower, I choked on jellybeans & he got out really quickly to make sure I hadn’t started smoking again😂😂

Geoff I got to 8 days after having a very big day of drinking (food & wine festival followed by more drinks & dinner) I think I was hungover for 2 days first 🤢🤮🤣

As I was a wine or scotch with ice block drinker and I’m not a big on soft drink but I’ve found juice or tea is breaking the habit so far, my friend suggested non alcoholic wine or beer may help or put non alcohol drink in my drinking / wine gls (tricks the brain)

hope this may help you both too x

Tess2
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Well done Emm

now on day 7. I am in Perth too and it has been hot. I like wine too, and a nice cold wine on a hot evening is great. I didn’t just have one or two glasses though! I wouldn’t do the non alcoholic wine either, I have never tried it but doubt it tastes as good. I don’t see the point, it is like decaffinated coffee, it tastes awful.

I am not struggling with this at the moment as I am used to going periods without drinking. But dare say my tests will come

tess

Emm78
Community Member

Woo hoo Tess 🙌 me too !! it’s around now my cravings are the worst! As I try to unwind...

how do you go for periods without & then start again? I’m bit worried that When I do decide to have a wine I’ll drink the bottle instead of just 1

I don’t have any incentive except to stay healthy (mind, body, spirit) & atm getting a job as most of them have d&a tests.... in the past I’ve done all sorts of stuff trying to get pregnant so that was huge reasons but as I’m now 40 without kids, & have no direction but mass of determination! Stay strong guys

Geoff,

doctor advised me to see Palmerston drug & alcohol help in Perth they have meeting tues & thurs nights so I have my individual counselling with tomz arvo & then I’ll try to get to my first meeting tomz (if I don’t chicken 🐓 out)

Burdy
Community Member

Hi guys,

Well got through day 7 😁

Agree with you Tess, I dont seem to be really struggling at this point just some cravings in the evenings which I think are just from the habit and are easy to push through but have some social occasions coming up that will be a test.

As I'm going for 365 days I have decided to give myself 2 passes. I have a wedding to attend in Darwin in June - dare say it will be quite hot and the beers will be flowing.

The other pass I haven't set for anything in particular, think I will keep it as a spare an try to get the end without using it.

Emm sounds like you have some good motivation for this, keep at it and I hope a job opportunity will come up soon. I hope you do try and get to the meeting tonight, let us know how you go.

For me the next few days should be a bit easier as hubby and kids are back at work so the holiday mode is gone (holidays always seem to be an excuse to drink without thought).

Chat tomorrow

Burdy 🐦