FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Want to but scared to share my bisexuality on social media.

Mudcakes
Community Member

So basically my Mum knows I’m Bi.

My “best friend” does. (Kinda complicated) And two fellow lgbt friends that I’m yet to speak in person (One at school, one not) some people in a private group chat.

Somedays I want to post stuff you know? Quotes or something.

I have pins my Mum got me but I’m scared to wear them.

I guess some days I just want to share on facebook or instagram a picture but then I feel scared. I also feel like it’s a private thing no one really needs to know except close friends, close family and obviously future partners, but at the same time every now and then I just want to. Any advice on if I should or if I should wait until I’m really ready and not feeling scared. In my other threads I have spoken about my current school experience. So this might make that worse too. I don’t know I just some days what to just post and smile.

21 Replies 21

Mudcakes
Community Member

All day I’ve had the urge to just come out on my private instagram. I don’t know what my mum would think If I did.

If it may backfire as I have not been back to school yet. Like if I regret it or make my mental health worse, it just keeps playing on my mind. I want to be myself.

Hi Mudcakes,

We hope that you’re doing well. It is a very brave thing to come out with your sexuality, and we encourage you to live your authentic life, the way you wish and what makes you happy. We understand that this time can be challenging on multiple levels and encourage you to reach out when ever you feel up to it. Having a support network (friends, family, GP, psychologist etc…) can make this journey that little bit easier. Know that you are not alone and there is always someone on the forum to provide you support. If you are after more imminent support or counselling, there is the beyondblue Support Service – 1300 22 4636 or web chat or email available at www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. Also, Q-Life – 1800 184 527.

Please stay in touch.

Mudcakes
Community Member
I JUST CAME OUT ON MY PRIVATE INSTAGRAM!💖💜💙🌈🏳️‍🌈😃

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Mudcakes, sorry I hadn't got back to you, but you may feel uncomfortable when your mum knows, simply because she may tell her friends, so what, what would happen if you were heterosexual and the partner you had chosen was someone your mother didn't like, the same would happen, she'd still be telling her friends and any other situation won't stop them talking.

People would know by now and understand who you want to be with as well as the opposite gender.

None of this would stop me from talking to a girl I really liked and this does happen, it doesn't mean I want to go out with them, now I'm too old now but they are still friends, so you mustn't worry about what people think, they do this already to everyone and so do we.

Just enjoy yourself, you don't have to prove who you are, you are what you believe in.

Take care.

Geoff.

Mudcakes
Community Member
I dont think you actually have understood what I have said here. My mum was the first person I told and she was incredible and the fact you’re assuming the opposite(that she didn't know before and would tell her “friends”even though I have mentioned it multiple times she does know and not sure why you assume things and give advice on things that I have not mentioned) I feel this is very odd. This is the lgbt sexuality and identity forum and you have continuously said you
are straight. So I’m not actually sure what you’re meaning in your posts.

Hi Mudcake!

Thank you for sharing with us that you came out! That is wonderful news!

I hope you're okay from the confusing on the forum, we all make mistakes. I really hope you're okay, I'm sure that was written in a different context.

How did you feel after you came out? I know I felt so relieved after I came out.

What response did you get over Instagram? So proud of you!

Reagrds,

D

eight
Community Member

wow wow wow that's great came out on your priv insta 🐕‍🦺🎂🏳️‍🌈 i hope you will be loved and this frees you

i don't know if you need advice on the "scared to talk to mum about your bisexuality" thing now - i can understand where you come from since you still clearly have a lot of closeted fear and sadly it doesn't go away after you come out + get accepted but i don't think its rational to think it either. sure she might be two-faced about you liking girls but from all you've said she sounds like a beautiful mum. the most i could recommend is discuss your fear and exposure therapy it - even if its telling her you think this female celebrity is really cute or the dream.

yeye I've.. really been leaning towards i don't think cishet people should post as advice-givers on this forum since they always seem confused when they write it. i still mourn all the threads where someone came for support and ended up having to walk through people in the replies basic topics like, the gramatically correct way to refer to transness in writing. it makes them more alienated in a space specifically made for them

Mudcakes
Community Member

I have tried slowly mentioning to my mum how nervous I have felt as we have not spoken about girls yet and she’s understood. It’s not that I feel like she’ll be horrible or too faced it’s my anxiety of a conversation that we have never had before. Coming out was hard but she was amazing with it but I havent gone into detail about crushes or anything at all with her and I guess it would my first conversation openly being bi. So that’s I guess why.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Mudcakes, yes I am straight but I'm still allowed to reply on a LGBT thread, it doesn't stop you, me or anyone else having to suffer from anxiety/social anxiety of any type and there would be other threads posted by other people who are not bi which you have replied back to, it doesn't necessarily matter who wants to support someone by offering their advice.

I don't use the word 'assume' it's just a suggestion, but will leave you alone now.

Sorry, you felt this way, I'm only trying to help.

Geoff.

Mudcakes
Community Member

I’m allowed to reply back to fellow lgbt people because I am lgbt and offer legitimate understanding support. 🏳️‍🌈

You are not. The fact that you’re giving advice about something so hard and personal where lgbt people have felt overpowered by straight people, is just not ok and to repeatedly state you’re straight.😳😫 I went on here needing advice and support from fellow lgbt people who understand what I’m going through and to get advice from a Cis straight male does not make me comfortable. Cishet people should not be invading lgbt spaces and giving advice unless it’s to another parent like themselves who their child has come out to them. I’m sorry but it’s like giving advice about racism to a black person when you’re white. That’s all I’m going to say and I’m guessing many others feel the same way.