FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling and feeling lonely as i am unable to meet gay people in sydney

R-r
Community Member

I moved to Sydney in May and I have never found it so hard to meet other gay people. I am 45 years old and this is the loneliest i have ever felt to the point i think i am starting to get depressed 

I have tried groups with no response back. Have gone out and all what people seen to want is NSA. Why is it so hard? I am i doing something wrong? 

I really dont know what else to do.

2 Replies 2

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello and welcome.

Sad to hear you are having difficulties in meeting other people in the gay community. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Perhaps the only thing is that what you are looking for is not the same as others (your NSA reference) and that is totally cool. As for not getting any responses back, that I something I think is rude, but that is just me.

I am wondering though whether you have looked at reddit from ideas and good ways to meet other gay people. After I found your post, I did a quick search in the sydney reddit group and ACON was mentioned. At worst you could volunteer with them. Hopefully, this link will be allowed, and you can find them here ...

https://www.acon.org.au/

All the best.

tmas
Community Member

Depending on where you are, there are many openly queer people and community activities in Sydney (say deeper in the city, towards Darlinghurst, increasingly surrounding suburbs and inner west too). Obviously, a place like darlinghurst can seem heavy on the club culture which isn't everyone’s scene - there are other predominantly queer places like restaurants and stuff there too. Maybe finding places you’d enjoy through friends or online groups as already mentioned could be a good idea. 

This one might be out of your comfort zone, but online dating can be a very useful tool for queer people (I know personally meeting other women was a lot easier on bumble that it was in real life back when I tried it). Obviously be careful with what you put out there (images, information, etc), but it’s an easy way to specifically find people looking for dating/relationships and not just hookups. It has its pros and cons, but you also aren’t obligated to act on any of it either. 

Stay well x