FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Open relationships

Mattstar
Community Member
Hi all, I'm reaching out because I realise I need some help and figure there may be others here who have similar experiences. I'm 44 and have recently come out of a long term gay relationship. We broke up late last year because he wants an open relationship and I don't. We would have been together for 18 years in April just gone. He has moved to the US (work) and from all accounts is living life to the fullest. I am back here still in our life and feel completely abandoned, worthless and a shadow of myself. Most of my gay friends find the situation too difficult to deal with so haven't been very supportive. My family are angry with him and worried about me. The last few years weren't smooth but every time i tried to raise things he reassured me everything was fine. Looking back it wasn't and i should have trusted my gut. I'm wondering if there are any support groups or if there are any others who have been through something like this? I'm feeling really isolated and I can feel my mental health slipping. It was 18 years, he was my life and he's gone. No check in's, no texts, just gone. All because I won't do an open relationship. I'd really like to talk this through and maybe with strangers it will be easier. I'm on a waiting list to see a professional but that may take some time. Thanks. Matt 🙂
14 Replies 14

Hi Mattstar,

You are among friends here and in a safe place to talk about your experience.

I am sensing a tiny (maybe even not such tiny) swing in your attitude. You still feel badly hurt but starting to show some resilience: “I won't let it define me though and try to be happier, though that will be some time time down the track.” - well said mate and that’s the way to think and go. I am proud of you that you made this statement all by yourself. It’s a great step forward.

Take care.

Sorry, the word I wanted to use was “a shift” not “a swing”. My dictionary playing up a bit.

Thank you. That made me cry and crying is good. I appreciate the kind words 🙂

Jo8049
Community Member

Hi Mattstar , welcome ( hugs when required ) . Many people read and don't post but they care and see your bravery and feel your feelings .

Things slowly improve as you heal and learn , and your very right crying is good . The dark cloud always has a silver lining . We all care here . xx lol

Jo

Hi Mattstar,

Give yourself more credit as your words only tell me that you are stronger than you think.
I know you hurt but this also shows what a generous and sensitive person you are and these are such beautiful values. Yes, you might get hurt because of your good heart but at least you know how to love and give this love to another person. Willingly. Unconditionally.
You were just unfortunate the receiver had not appreciated this enormous gift of love.

Thinking of you.

Take care.