FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I am questioning my gender

karmasdoor
Community Member
Hi, I'm "R" and I recently came out as nonbinary to my family (I was already out to my wonderful friends). They're very supportive, but I'm a little confused. I'm starting to wonder if I'm actually a guy. I was assigned female at birth and only recently found out that I'm not a girl at all. I don't know how to describe it so I've decided to try out he/him pronouns alongside they/them which I am currently using. If you have any advice I'd love to hear it. Thank you in advance 😄
5 Replies 5

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I am sorry that I do not have any advice. It must have been a little scary to come out to your parents like that? And from your post, they sound supportive. There are a number of organisations in Australia you could speak to for information like Qlife (https://qlife.org.au/) and if you are under 25 there is also headspace.

Please know that here the people here are non judgemental and will support you while you are here. May be you might to chat about what is confusing you?

That Other Guy
Community Member

I am 53. I am heterosexual. My journey was easy. Society affirms men more than women and every bit of media i saw, affirmed how i felt and who i was. This was "normal". As messed up as autism made me in a lot of ways, sexuality and gender was obvious and easy.

I have one afab. He came out as pansexual at 15. I didn't care, i took an interest but was not concerned or worried.

This turned into non binary, with a name change for a year or so. Then he realised what he was, was trans. He's been trans about two years. Some of his older relatives dead name him and complain "she keeps changing her mind" but it's obvious to me that when you're outside the mainstream, when society doesn't affirm you, it's a harder journey with more stops on the way.

you'rea human being, with intrinsic value. Your gender is part of who you are, but it's not all of you. Just listen to what your feelings tell you, and be what feels right to you. There's never joy in rejecting how you feel to try to fit into some definition that society throws at you. Your friends will love you for you, either way. There are sadly always awful people in society but I've learned to simply ignore them. It's not worth the fight. Go where your joy is.

Thanks for the support. It's really helped, and I am so glad your son (I am assuming he's your son) is happy with himself after all this time.

Well I suppose the way I'd describe it is that I feel like I'm in the middle, but I still like to use male titles when I'm joking around with my friends i.e. "I am the king of ___" and this has got me thinking. My brother has given me some of his old clothes and I love how they look, they're not the be all end all of masculinity but I prefer them to what I had before. Thanks for replying, you've been a big help.

first and foremost, you are a person deserving to be respected for who you are. It sounds you are getting this from your family and are being supported here. Where you fit on the gender spectrum, if you want to look at it that way, is your journey and there are no easy answers.