FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Gender neutral toilets.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

This week I made a change to the work toilets. Each consists of a toilet in a room with a door and the basin is in the hall and shared. On the door there were the old male and female figures. With the help of a trusty screwdriver they came off and were replaced with both male and female figures together with the word unisex below. (best I could get from the sign shop at short notice)

I didn't announce the change because I wanted to observe the reaction. I've been people watching since. Most have not changed their behaviour and are using the room they always did. Some have been using whichever takes their fancy. And the other non-binary staff member in the office had an outburst of happy laughter and made use of the one that they had never before been allowed in. No one has said anything yet.

I'm hoping to make this a permanent change and am prepared to argue. I have never felt safe in the Male facilities but don't look female so cause consternation going in there. At last somewhere for me where I can pee without anxiety.

How are others going with this? any opinions?

13 Replies 13

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I don't think I've seen the argument for gender-neutral bathrooms summed up with better poignancy, humour and incisiveness than this TED talk by Ivan Coyote:

Trans22
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I think that single occupancy, non-communal, all-gender toilets will be the way of the future - the shift is well underway in Australia.  Even though I prefer the cleanliness of female toilets, I accept that binary gendered toilets do not work for people whose gender identity sits in the non-binary or gender divers spectrum.  I also cannot see any business or government organization forking out the money for communal toilets for all genders.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi everyone,

This topic shocked me a little…um a lot really….How unsafe would it be for young girls, well any female to use a unisex toilet…I know I would be too scared to do that and would hold until I got home….Times are changing yes….but imo feel this is gone to far…How many young people have been snatched/ harmed or even worse by predators hanging around and in  public toilets….too many…

If I had to vote…my vote will be no…

Grandy..

Sophie_M
Hey everyone, 

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable perspectives here, it’s an important conversation to have, and we really appreciate the openness and empathy with which you are sharing.  

While engaging in these valuable conversations we gently remind you that these forums are a peer space where all personal experience are welcome. We thank you for holding this conversation in a respectful way where we hear each other's perspectives, and always respond with kindness and compassion. We also invite you to share with your experiences with kindness and curiosity. 

These forums are for everyone, and we want all communities to feel safe here. We thank you for focusing on our common goals: equality, safety and understanding, regardless of gender. 

Kind regards,  

Sophie M