FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What To Do

Raining
Community Member

Hello everyone

My partner suffers from major depression, ADHD and narcolepsy.

I suffer from depression as well. It has been more than 20 years and I had a severe post partum episode.

We live with my in-laws. 

I am at a point where I don't know what to do.

I am back at work part time now. My partner has casual work and is also part of a family business.

I don't like the way his family treats him.

He has suffered with his mental health for a long time, but they just don't understand. 

He has developed bad habits and he stays in bed up to 5 days a week.

I am struggling too.

I don't know whether we help each other or make each other worse.

Should we be together or separate.

I am concerned for my daughter too. 

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

We cant tell you if separating is better or not. However your happiness is dependant on many things and core issues will determine your future. Clearly changes should be made.

Living with inlaws is not a good idea in the general sense, been there myself and it doesnt ever seem to work with friends I know. The ways in which his parents treat him will not change while you both live there.

With mental health issues there are many people that wont understand. This has been proven a long time. Another reason to move out.

Try to meet with your partner in a quiet place eg cafe, and point out your wishes to get a place of your own (rather than use your inlaws as the reason) and see how you go. Remember you are in a union with your partner that doesnt include your inlaws so his answer should be one that supports your desires as a partner.

If that occurs things will change imo. 

TonyWK