FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trying not to let depression make decisions for me

pseudonym
Community Member

Hi! I just signed up today after a suggestion from my husband. This is my first post and I'm still not exactly sure how to use this space but I think it goes a little something this.
I have had some experience with depression in my life but it's never been a steady fixture. Anxiety on the other hand seems to always be around but fortunately it's been manageable.
My partner of nearly 10 years and I finally got married in October but about a month after this, shit hit the fans and we had our first ever serious fight. Since then things have been extremely tense and we have even had discussions of divorce. I think this is something that neither of us actually want but as my depression has fully set in and my anxiety is in overdrive I have been feeling progressively more trapped and am very much in flight mode. We discussed couples counselling but nothing came of that discussion and I'm finding it hard to find motivation.
Logic says that I will probably regret any big decisions I make because of depression so I haven't been making any decisions and I have been sitting in bed for 3 days now slipping further into this stupid funk. My husband is being supportive and lovely which to be honest only seems to make me feel worse for wanting to run away.
I think I need to kick this depression in the butt and I've been wanting to talk to my friends about it but I don't know how to begin and am very embarrassed about my mental health.
I know it's very common and I shouldn't feel embarrassed but I can't help it.

Advice and any coping techniques would be greatly appreciated...

11 Replies 11

pseudonym
Community Member
Hi Geoff, I know I made it sound like we has a little argument and that's it but unfortunately it was more like years of not communicating even though we thought we were, followed by an inevitable explosion.
Couples counselling will have to happen eventually but for now I think we are both planning on doing counselling separately to get us started.
Obviously, we have a lot to learn 🙂

dear Pseudonym, good on you that sounds to be an excellent choice. Geoff.