FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Statement from beyondblue Board in support of marriage equality

Sophie_M

In light of recent developments regarding the marriage equality plebiscite, we're reprinting beyondblue's position statement on marriage equality from September 2015 below. Please use this thread for discussion and support on this issue.

Discrimination in all its shapes and forms, intentional and unintentional, is unacceptable.

Discrimination is the cause for many people of their stress, anxiety and depression. Tragically, it is too often fatal when people self-harm and die by suicide.

We, the Board members of beyondblue, who are professional and lay people, young and experienced, men and women, straight and gay, black and white, and who are bi-partisan in serving beyondblue, are working to reduce discrimination in our society.

We know the hurt, hardship and loss that such discrimination can cause. We direct a lot of our resources towards ending that hurt and loss.

Our country long ago recognised the incorrectness of discrimination when it introduced the:

• Racial Discrimination Act in 1975
  • Sex Discrimination Act in 1984
  • Disability Discrimination Act in 1992, and the
  • Age Discrimination Act in 2004.

Discrimination is often based on colour, race, religion, size, looks, sexuality and any one of any other factors. On sexuality, homosexuality used to be a crime; it is no longer. Yet marriage between same sex couples is still not permitted in Australia.

For heterosexual Australians, entering into marriage is a choice they can make freely based on the love and commitment the individuals have for each other.

However, individuals who share the same love and commitment, but are of the same gender, are not allowed to commit to each other through marriage. This is discrimination in the most obvious form.

For those who love, but are not allowed to marry, their sense of loss, hurt, stigma and discrimination is profound.

beyondblue is committed to being an advocate for non-discriminating communities, systems, policies and institutions, because we know discrimination is a significant risk factor for mental health conditions and suicide. Therefore same sex marriage is not a political issue but one of equity; every Australian should have the same rights under law, including the same rights to make the choice to marry or not. The continuation of the current law reinforces that inequity, stigma and discrimination are in direct conflict to the laws and intent of the anti-discrimination Acts we have listed above.

Many members of Australia’s LGBTI community would like to marry in their own country. Many parents, children, relations and friends would like to witness the union of two people in their own country. Allowing same sex marriages will not make any difference to the lives of the majority, including married heterosexuals, but it will make a great deal of difference to those who seek same sex unions.

No law-abiding Australian citizen should be made to feel like a second-class Australian. Yet that is what the current law clearly does.

Most LGBTI people lead happy, healthy, fulfilling lives. However, LGBTI people have an increased risk of depression and anxiety, substance abuse, self-harming and suicidal thoughts, and take their own lives at much higher rates than heterosexual people. This is not because of sexuality or gender identity. LGBTI people, just like any Australian, face the same risk factors for mental illness and suicide. What is different is the violence, prejudice and discrimination they face, simply for being who they are. This adds an additional and unacceptable layer of risk.

beyondblue requests all our politicians, regardless of their politics or personal feelings, to understand the ramifications of a law that through positive discrimination causes so much unnecessary hurt, pain, mental illness and worse to some.

A law that is in direct conflict with other existing laws. A law we consider to be out-dated, inequitable and unfair.

The Hon. Jeff Kennett AC

Chairman

Together with beyondblue Board members:

Mr Tim Marney, Deputy Chair

Ms Georgie Harman

Ms Jessica Dean

Professor Steve Larkin

Dr Mukesh Haikerwal AO

Ms Fiona Coote AM

Professor Michael Kidd AM

Ms Johanna Griggs

A/Professor Michael Baigent

Mr Paul Howes

The Hon. Julia Gillard

Professor Brett McDermott

22 Replies 22

Lady_Stardust
Community Member
* Oh dear, I feel I worded that badly. Just want to clarify that when I said to update details, I meant make sure that your details are up to date, like your address and all that if they've changed before this. I'm sure everyone already knew that but yeah, I don't like my wording!

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Personally I feel it's a no brainer if two people are in love they should have the right and privilege to marry who ever they choose. Under the same rights if I choose to refuse to preform the ceremony that's fine also. But you cannot refuse to allow them to marry, some where else. Most of the community I assassinate with now. Will vote against it. I am one of the odd ones out in the group. I just don't care if you want to marry or live in a defacto relationship go for it. My daughter tried to shock her poor old dad by telling him her preference. Well I took it very well if that's her choice she is still my daughter still laughs at all my silly dad jokes. who am I to judge. what floats her boat.

Kanga

"Love is Love"

Pepper xoxo

I 100% support for marriage between 2 people of any sexual preference.

"Love is Love"

Sorry, hit post before I had finished typing...

Pepper xoxo

Lady_Stardust
Community Member
The postal surveys have started to be received! Keep an eye out for yours and send it back as soon as possible! Vote yes! 🌈

I totally did 😄

Sunburst
Community Member
Please be mindful everyone that just because someone doesn't support this. They have beliefs and their decision is based what they honor. The word homophobic should not be a blanket name for all who have a different belief system than you. No one should be bullied into thinking one way.

Sunburst (and the two people who liked your post), who is doing the bullying? Just because someone disagrees with you and thinks your opinion is wrong doesn't mean they are a bully.

As someone who is personally affected by this vote - as in: I cannot choose to name a partner as next of kin right now - I would be interested in knowing more about how anyone's beliefs should impact on my legal rights to decide who gets to be in the hospital with me when I am sick or dying?

Hi everyone, this is a thread where people are entitled to respectfully express their views on marriage equality.

For LGBTI members who don't wish to take part in this debate, and wish to discuss any issues that may be arising for you in relation to the postal vote, please feel free to post in the Sexuality & Gender Identity section.

Lady_Stardust
Community Member

HAPPY DAYS, EVERYBODY! Our voices have been heard. Now it's up to the government to do the right thing. 🌈